Honda Rebel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of November's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
1,469 Posts
Remember, the 28mm needs to be flat on the bottom of the bore. It cannot be conical.

·
Premium Member
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
1,469 Posts
Did you see how Jim Ray centered it? Pretty simple.

·
Registered
442 Posts
If your pipes are ok but your mufflers are rusty inside and damaged, there may be damage to the baffles inside causing bad sound. I guess at that point it's time to cut and bolt on some new mufflers.

Don't chop your old mufflers off though, cut the back half off then you can see the main pipe inside and determine what condition it's in. (Remember that Honda pipes are double wall, a pipe within a pipe. The outer has chrome and the inner probably has rust.)
Next cut the front half of the muffler in half, just cut the chrome pipe and have a look. Then I usually cut the rest of the muffler off, cutting just thru the chrome pipe and wiggle the remains of the muffler off the inner pipe.
The trick is to not cut off more pipe than you have too.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
If your pipes are ok but your mufflers are rusty inside and damaged, there may be damage to the baffles inside causing bad sound. I guess at that point it's time to cut and bolt on some new mufflers.

Don't chop your old mufflers off though, cut the back half off then you can see the main pipe inside and determine what condition it's in. (Remember that Honda pipes are double wall, a pipe within a pipe. The outer has chrome and the inner probably has rust.)
Next cut the front half of the muffler in half, just cut the chrome pipe and have a look. Then I usually cut the rest of the muffler off, cutting just thru the chrome pipe and wiggle the remains of the muffler off the inner pipe.
The trick is to not cut off more pipe than you have too.
okay, well what size pipes are on the rebel? what size mufflers do i have to order?

·
Super Moderator
31,103 Posts
Be sure to get the early model clutch cover that has the internal casting to support the kick starter. This is missing on the later Rebels.

Pod filters don't clean the air as well as stock filters, and don't make the engine perform any better (ann possibly worse). See this for other cons of pod filters: In the process of Pod filter conversion help!!! | Honda Rebel Forum

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Be sure to get the early model clutch cover that has the internal casting to support the kick starter. This is missing on the later Rebels.

Pod filters don't clean the air as well as stock filters, and don't make the engine perform any better (ann possibly worse). See this for other cons of pod filters: In the process of Pod filter conversion help!!! | Honda Rebel Forum
yeah, I'm getting an extra cover as I have so if I screw one up for some reason, I have another. I decided I'm not gonna do the pod filter, it does nothing but makes it look cleaner.

·
Premium Member
1,469 Posts
Just don't buy an 87. It doesn't have the vestigial hump, therefore unable to support the Kickstarter.
That 1 should work, but the dip stick will need replacing. Looks like it's seen some high heat.

·
Premium Member
1,469 Posts
I thought that the 1987 was the only cover that wouldn't work. Every other clutch cover that I've seen for sale has both the internal tube support, & the external hump. Or, am I wrong?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I thought that the 1987 was the only cover that wouldn't work. Every other clutch cover that I've seen for sale has both the internal tube support, & the external hump. Or, am I wrong?
I wouldn't know lol, if I'm not mistaken, the guy in the video you showed me said the 86 will work but nothing later

·
Super Moderator
31,103 Posts
Without going and pulling my 2009 to confirm, I thought all second gen bikes didn't have the internal support. But I'm often wrong. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
442 Posts
They all have the boss for the kick shaft except 87.

I was afraid you'd find those Emgo mufflers. They look great and will catch your eye, but they sound like poo with the volume cranked to 11. They're cheap though and they'll fit, but like that pod filter they won't help your bike to run well. That's why I posted the test ride video of those 17" reverse megaphone mufflers, they actually sound good.

If you get those you can save the money you would have spent on a spare helmet for passengers, nobody will want to ride with you, and if you ride with a pack of bikes they'll put you at the back so they won't have to hear you.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
They all have the boss for the kick shaft except 87.

I was afraid you'd find those Emgo mufflers. They look great and will catch your eye, but they sound like poo with the volume cranked to 11. They're cheap though and they'll fit, but like that pod filter they won't help your bike to run well. That's why I posted the test ride video of those 17" reverse megaphone mufflers, they actually sound good.

If you get those you can save the money you would have spent on a spare helmet for passengers, nobody will want to ride with you, and if you ride with a pack of bikes they'll put you at the back so they won't have to hear you.
okay, ill get some reverse megaphone ones like you have, I measured the pipes on my bike and it said 1 1/4" is that correct?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Yes I think so, most mufflers come with adaptors to fit the muffler to a variety of smaller diameter pipes.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Don't just take my word for it, give a listen to some different mufflers on YouTube.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts