Honda Rebel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of November's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on a rebel cmx250 bobber and id like to remove the airbox and replace it with a pod filter
(does anyone know what size pod fits the carb on a 250?). I know it has a breather tube for the engine, but I was wondering if someone makes a rubber boot that has a fitting to put on a pod, and also has a spot for the breather tube? if not I can make something that'll work.

·
Premium Member
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
1,609 Posts
By the lack of replies, it seems that you have your answer regarding a boot & the breather tube.
I wanted to give some kind of reply, so that you're not left completely hanging.
Personally, I don't care for the look of bobbers, but many love them. Do what you enjoy. But most of all. Enjoy riding!
Hopefully nobody messed with the frame, so a 1st generation 86 can, if you are so inclined, be restored to its former (IMO), beauty.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
By the lack of replies, it seems that you have your answer regarding a boot & the breather tube.
I wanted to give some kind of reply, so that you're not left completely hanging.
Personally, I don't care for the look of bobbers, but many love them. Do what you enjoy. But most of all. Enjoy riding!
Hopefully nobody messed with the frame, so a 1st generation 86 can, if you are so inclined, be restored to its former (IMO), beauty.
yeah, I'm not really chopping up anything (especially the frame), I just want to change the look of the bike, but still has a resemblance to the rebel. don't get me wrong I like the way the original rebel looks, but a change would be nice. I'm 16, and this is my first motorcycle, so I'm still new to all this, so if you ever see me asking dumb questions, that's why lol.

·
Premium Member
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
1,609 Posts
Only dumb question is one that is not asked.
Inexperienced maybe. Dumb, no.
The average age here from my understanding, is around 50. So many years of experience to be gleaned from this group. We look down on noone.

·
Premium Member
1,609 Posts
You're also going to get asked on whether or not you took this rider safety course. Amongst other things. We're not being nosy, We just want you to be safe..

·
Premium Member
1,609 Posts
Good! Hopefully you haven't had much time to instill bad habits.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I'm sure you've seen cars, trucks and bikes that would have run better if they were left stock. A pod filter will not make your bike run better or more reliably.

Don't you want to be the guy with the reliable bike and a spare helmet? Nudge-nudge?

I'd spend my effort on polishing the exposed aluminum parts if you want to customize.

Oh I forgot, you can add a kickstarter to these bikes you know. There's nothing cooler than kickstarting a streetbike.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm sure you've seen cars, trucks and bikes that would have run better if they were left stock. A pod filter will not make your bike run better or more reliably.

Don't you want to be the guy with the reliable bike and a spare helmet? Nudge-nudge?

I'd spend my effort on polishing the exposed aluminum parts if you want to customize.

Oh I forgot, you can add a kickstarter to these bikes you know. There's nothing cooler than kickstarting a streetbike.
actually, I didn't know you could put a kickstart on a rebel, who makes a Kickstarter that would fit?

·
Premium Member
1,609 Posts
Look up kickstarter on the forum. The CM 200 the CM185 amongst others kickstarter will work.
This video has been posted & reposted.
I wanted the oil seal done to exacting specifications, so I took mine to a machine shop on Monday. 2 weeks it'll be ready. They're very busy right now.
As to making it louder, I'm a seen and not heard kind of guy.. Lots of LEDs all over. I like the stealth mode of the bike, peaceful.

·
Premium Member
1,609 Posts
The video posted above explains what you'll need.. You need the full internal part of the kick starter. You need the kickstarter lever, external. And you need the oil seal for the CM 200. An 18mm bit & a way to bore 28mm for the seal. Watch the video. Jim Ray explains it well.
There are other methods that some have used. This is IMO, the best. Although I still prefer a professional shop to do the work.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The video posted above explains what you'll need.. You need the full internal part of the kick starter. You need the kickstarter lever, external. And you need the oil seal for the CM 200. An 18mm bit & a way to bore 28mm for the seal. Watch the video. Jim Ray explains it well.
There are other methods that some have used. This is IMO, the best. Although I still prefer a professional shop to do the work.
well (surprisingly) ive had my fair share of metalwork (I make knives swords etc,etc) so i have the tools, id just have to order an 18mm and a 28mm endmill that'll fit in a drill press

·
Registered
445 Posts
I'm considering making a flycutter to bore for that seal, plus I'd be able to use it for lots of other things. Or I could just find a CM200 clutch cover and call it a day.

For a louder exhaust I'd suggest finding another set of pipes with rusting out mufflers or no mufflers and adding some aftermarket mufflers to those. Your Gen 1 pipes are a rare item so don't cut them up, just hang them in the attic or something with a note not to throw them away.

I really like these mufflers, yes it's a nighthawk, they're mostly set up like a Gen 2 Rebel, get out the good headphones for this one.

These mufflers are available from lots of places and they're all the same so find your best deal on two of them.

They come in chrome too if that's your thing.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm considering making a flycutter to bore for that seal, plus I'd be able to use it for lots of other things. Or I could just find a CM200 clutch cover and call it a day.

For a louder exhaust I'd suggest finding another set of pipes with rusting out mufflers or no mufflers and adding some aftermarket mufflers to those. Your Gen 1 pipes are a rare item so don't cut them up, just hang them in the attic or something with a note not to throw them away.

I really like these mufflers, yes it's a nighthawk, they're mostly set up like a Gen 2 Rebel, get out the good headphones for this one.

These mufflers are available from lots of places and they're all the same so find your best deal on two of them.

They come in chrome too if that's your thing.
what size pipes are on the rebel 250? and the guy I bought the bike from didn't take care of it, and the exhaust mufflers have deep scratches on them from when he laid it over multiple times I guess, and they just don't sound right.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
what size pipes are on the rebel 250? and the guy I bought the bike from didn't take care of it, and the exhaust mufflers have deep scratches on them from when he laid it over multiple times I guess, and they just don't sound right.
would a cm200 clutch cover fit the rebel 250? I seen one on eBay for like 30- 40$

·
Premium Member
1,609 Posts
The way the clutch push pin works is different from my understanding. I'm not sure that the mechanism from a Rebel would fit in the CM200 housing.
I just bought another Rebel clutch cover for $15 on eBay. So boring it out to me was more logical. At least it's mostly original.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The way the clutch push pin works is different from my understanding. I'm not sure that the mechanism from a Rebel would fit in the CM200 housing.
I just bought another Rebel clutch cover for $15 on eBay. So boring it out to me was more logical. At least it's mostly original.
yeah I'm just gonna buy another rebel cover and bore it out. i still gotta find a 18 and 28mm drill lol

1 - 20 of 69 Posts