Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of November's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1986 Honda Rebel 250
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I may be asking a question that has been answered but I can't find a post about it using the search function. Anyways, I have a 1986 Rebel 250. I am looking to replace the headlight bulb with an LED version. I am having troubles figuring out a good plug and play option. I have seen a few but I honestly am not sure if they are correct for my bike. Anyone have some insight or suggestions? Thank you in advance. I found one to swap out my taillight but I will likely also want to swap out the blinkers. Those I know I need a control module, so I am waiting on that project for a bit.

·
Premium Member
85,86,87 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
2,729 Posts
If you only replace the rear signals with LEDs, & leave the front incandescent, you don't need to change any wiring or relays. If you replace all of them, then yes, you need an electronic relay & 2 diodes by the signal flasher on the dash.
As to the LED headlamp, I did replace my whole unit bucket & all to do this. There is an option from Jack's Rebel Warehouse that works well from what I've ascertained.

·
Super Moderator
31,743 Posts
Jack's replacement headlight bucket is plug and play for the first generation bikes, and utilizes an h4 bulb. Many of us have substituted Beamtech's LED h4 for the halogen h4 as it is brighter than the halogen and puts less demand on the charging system. This is the one I use, and it's plug and play. 9003 H4 HB2 CSP LED Headlight Bulbs CSP Chips 50W 6500K 8000LM High+Low Beam US | eBay Not sure if Jack's bucket has a rubber collar like the 2nd generation bucket has, but if so, that isn't used.

·
Registered
1986 Honda Rebel 250
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Beam tech LED that you linked to is very similar to the ones I was looking at. I guess I was on the right path after all. Thank you. I will look at those and the aforementioned bucket from Jack's.

As to the blinkers, based on my limited research I think some minor wiring and swapping is in my wheelhouse when I decide to do it, so I'd probably change both front and back. I like the idea of high visibility indicators all around.

Reactions: Emil

·
Premium Member
85,86,87 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
2,729 Posts
I installed directional/brake lights on the back of mine. They arrived with amber on the inside, but it was an easy flip if the internal board to rectify this. This was good because shortly afterward the back wheel bottomed out damaging the main brake light. I still had the outer 2 to notify those behind me.
Be careful about State laws regarding lighting. Some are extremely strict, others much less so.

·
Registered
2014 250 Rebel
15 Posts
So, I may be asking a question that has been answered but I can't find a post about it using the search function. Anyways, I have a 1986 Rebel 250. I am looking to replace the headlight bulb with an LED version. I am having troubles figuring out a good plug and play option. I have seen a few but I honestly am not sure if they are correct for my bike. Anyone have some insight or suggestions? Thank you in advance. I found one to swap out my taillight but I will likely also want to swap out the blinkers. Those I know I need a control module, so I am waiting on that project for a bit.
Hi I have a 2015 Rebel they will not flash in turn signals

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have the same bike and swapped it with the one from Jacks. Easy to install, looks almost identical as the original.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts