Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

Premium Member
1985, 86 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
I got mine on craigslist. That might be a suggestion.. Also broaden your in your circle to a larger area & check the motorcycle parts section as well.

Reactions: Yazman

Registered
1987 Rebel 250
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Aaaaaand I'm out.

The bike is for sale. I have the engine up separately, or the bike and the engine together. I got new rings and pistons on, and everything was going fine until I snapped a head bolt and crushed the metal thing that goes over the cam. I was using a torque wrench and using the proper specs.

PM me if interested. Thanks to everyone on this forum, you all are great, and I appreciate your encouragement and advice during this saga.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Motor vehicle Vehicle

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Rim Gas Sink

Motor vehicle Rim Automotive exterior Gas Automotive tire

Premium Member
1985, 86 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
Before you give up completely. I saw this up by Kalamazoo, MI.
1985 Rebel for $1500.
But, maybe it is time to throw in the towel though. It was at least a learning experience. I hope to see you on the road sometime.

Registered
1987 Rebel 250
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Lined up an 87 in mint condition, 2k miles, $1000, clean title Butthole screwed me over and sold it out from under me after we made an agreement in stone....

I have a chance to get a 91 Nighthawk CB250, 8k miles, runs great, for $600-700. Would it be easier to take the 2nd gen engine and put it on my 87 Rebel? Or easier to take my bobber stuff (seat, handlebars, lights, gas tank, etc), and put it on the Nighthawk frame?

Super Moderator
Putting the Nighthawk engine in the Rebel would probably be easier than fitting the other stuff to the Nighthawk frame, which is much different than the Rebel's.

Registered
1987 Rebel 250
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Automotive lighting

Before anyone puts another curse on me for desecrating a classic, this thing has no title, the forks are sloppy and damaged, ignition is hanging off by tape, handlebars are bent, back signal lights don't work, front turn signals are smashed out, front brakes don't work, rear wheel has cords poking through, rear brake light is smashed out, tank is dented, headlights and grips are replaced with cheap crappy Chinese eBay junk that is all worn out, buttons are missing for turn signal and other stuff, handlebar switches look like they've been at the bottom of the ocean for a decade, and the whole thing flexes so bad it feels like riding a spaghetti noodle at high speed. It gets up to 75mph though, and the motor sounds and feels solid.

Super Moderator
Looks very good to have all those issues. Hope the engine transfer goes smoothly. Might be able to recoup some of the cost selling unneeded parts.

Registered
1987 Rebel 250
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
It's a great 20-footer. I was surprised when I called him and he told me his kids have been using it is a dirt bike dumping it in the gravel and doing wheelies and trashing it. Looks decent, and I wish it were in better shape then I might've kept it. The engine is a "stressed member" I think it's called? The engine is literally part of the nighthawk frame. Pretty neat.

Short clip of the new nighthawk engine in the bobber:
The bobber lives

Went pretty smooth except a few things: (1) nighthawk ground strap from engine to battery is thin and weak looking compared to my 87 engine. I didn't realize until I loctited the engine mounts. Oh well! (2) the connector that goes to the CDI (gray box with fins near coils) is super short on the Nighthawk engine. I'll have to solder longer wires on. (3) there's a tube on top of the carb that my 87 doesn't have. I'm guessing it's to the tank vent, so I did the right thing and plugged it with a screw. Other minor stuff, but I think it'll work fine.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive tire

Sorry for the crappy pic. It's dark and my screen and camera are cracked.

Super Moderator
Unless it's the carb overflow drain tube, the tube on top of the carb could mean it's a California model. CA models had a brass nipple on top of the carb that connected to the carbon cannister IIRC.

• Helpful

Registered
1987 Rebel 250
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Unless it's the carb overflow drain tube, the tube on top of the carb could mean it's a California model. CA models had a brass nipple on top of the carb that connected to the carbon cannister IIRC.
Ah that makes sense. It did have a disc shaped emissions looking thingy.... which I immediately ripped off. I don't have a tank vent, so I don't think I could use it anyway.

You guys were right--I should've just done an engine swap a long time ago. I will NEVER open up the motor again (unless it's to adjust the valves). I don't understand why everything went so horribly wrong. I suspect my HF torque wrench is probably a piece of hot garbage. I did big bore kits nearly 20 years ago when I was 15, an age when didn't know my butt from a hole in the ground. I'm much more careful now. I read the manual 10 times like I was study for finals. I took my time, and still screwed it up

Registered
1987 Rebel 250
Discussion Starter · #52 · (Edited)
Took it for a ride around the block. It stumbles, hesitates, and stutters quite a bit. It was completely fine on the Nighthawk, so I'm confused as to why this is. I'm using the Nighthawk carb, which I'm guessing has a smaller jet than the 87 CMX. Maybe since I have the shorty pipes, I need to jet up or throw my 87 CMX carb on?

EDIT: Did some reading, and the 91 Nighthawk engine has 4 more HP then a same year Rebel, but the carb is way smaller??? I'm really confused now. Don't know if it would help or hurt to put the larger carb on. Maybe I need to swap the air cleaner over from the Nighthawk?

EDIT #2: Rejet or shim the needle? Adjust AF screw?

Registered
1987 Rebel 250
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
SUCCESS! I plugged a brass nipple (another emissions thing I assume) and shimmed the needle and VIOLA! Now it runs and sounds flawless. There's a little popping on decel, but I'm assuming that just comes with short pipes.

I installed an 11T front sprocket (smallest you can fit), and it still does over 65mph! The 11t sprocket doesn't seem much different than the 14t though. It feels more torquey maybe.

A couple more things to note for anyone contemplating the Nighthawk Rebel swap: (1) the top motor mount on the 91 Nighthawk engine does not line up to the 87 Rebel frame. I could probably fabricate something, or just leave it and hope the engine doesn't fall out. (2) the throttle cable bracket on the Nighthawk is different from the rebel and it doesn't work very well. I swapped the rebel bracket on and it's perfect. (3) the cover that goes over the sprocket and shifter peg on the left side of the engine is completely different on the Nighthawk and will not fit on the rebel. I had to use my old one from my 87 engine.

I'm super happy with this swap. This engine is 10x more powerful than my low compression 87. I'm surprised how well this bike moves and how fast it feels (which says a lot, since my CBR600 does 0-60 in 3ish seconds).

I'll post some pics and stuff when I can.

Premium Member
Happy to hear that you're still a Rebeler! 馃榿

41 - 55 of 55 Posts