Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001(?) Honda Rebel

Got this bike for a couple hundred from a friend of a friend that bubba'd it up pretty good trying to do what appears to be some kind of cafe racer inspiration project. (Handlebars were upside down, zipties everywhere, rough paint, etc.)

It's stripped down quite a bit to near nakedness, except for the battery cover. Tail light is just wires running to a bulb, which is then stuck into a tube with a red lens on the other end, all encased in electrical tape.

I bought some proper lighting for it and disassembled what we'll just very generously refer to as the "brake light assembly". I was hoping the wires for the turn signals would be in there, but to no avail. So I redid the connections

that had come undone from disassembly, put everything back where I found it and drove the bike back to the parts store to buy a bit of wire. Starts right up and gets me there.

Then, when leaving, the bike refuses to start (No sounds at all. Bike in neutral, kickstand up, key on, clutch pulled) and the brake light no longer functions.The headlight seems to be working just fine, brights and all and turns off during press of starter button.

The green "N" for neutral and for instrument panel illumination bulbs are no longer functioning either.

Seems like it's not engaging the starter at all.

Despite this, the bike starts right up with a subpar rolling start. Killing it results in the same state as above.

I'm thinking there may be a short somewhere that I may have caused by fiddling with the wiring.

I have checked the battery with a multimeter, reads 12.45, so a bit low. Will be charging shortly.

Still need to check fuses, but I'm watching the little one for the next hour, so those will be next.

Anything looking obvious to anyone or could anyone point me at something?

Also, if pictures will help, I can get them. She's just not that pretty and I wouldn't post any unsolicited, if you guys know what I mean.

·
Super Moderator
29,308 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I hate it when someone who really doesn't know how to do something the right way butchers the wiring harness. You may be better off getting a used, unmolested, harness. Any from 1996-2016 models should work. They can usually be found on ebay or Jack may have one. He doesn't advertise his used parts online. Jack's Rebel Warehouse - Rebel Catalog, Honda Rebel parts and accessories

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just reporting back, turns out the 10A fuse assigned "TAIL" is responsible for all the symptoms listed. Thought it had been rigged up without one and it's just small enough to miss on the side of the battery.

Thanks for the advice, guys.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts