Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Honda Rebel 250
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time doing a carb clean. Bought Chem-Dip and a carb rebuild kit. Took the carb out. Started taking it apart. Got to this point and in two/three turns I managed to mess up the middle 'valve' (not sure what it's called). There's not enough head on it now to turn it.

Anyone have any bright ideas? I'm not sure I can drill it out? I have the replacement part in my carb rebuild kit but it doesn't look drilling it out would work?

My plan was just to get the carb down to metal only, chuck it in the Chem-Dip and come back in a week after watching a few more YouTube videos on how to rebuild it.

Household hardware Bicycle part Gas Auto part Metal

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Auto part Gas

Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Gear Household hardware

·
Super Moderator
32,567 Posts
May be too late, but some penetrating fluid and a hand impact screwdriver would have removed that slow jet without a problem. Hit it with penetrating fluid and let it soak at least overnight, try the left hand bit, and if it's still in there, use a square screw extractor. Don't drill too deep or it could mess up the carb.

A hand impact screwdriver is a must for removing motorcycle fasteners, especially on Rebel carbs.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Rebel 250
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
May be too late, but some penetrating fluid and a hand impact screwdriver would have removed that slow jet without a problem. Hit it with penetrating fluid and let it soak at least overnight, try the left hand bit, and if it's still in there, use a square screw extractor. Don't drill too deep or it could mess up the carb.

A hand impact screwdriver is a must for removing motorcycle fasteners, especially on Rebel carbs.
Thanks Flite. You're right, just bought some. I was in a friend's garage so didn't have all the stuff but am learning that it's better to take a minute and be prepared properly than try to force things.

·
Premium Member
1985, 86 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
3,428 Posts
it's better to take a minute and be prepared properly than try to force things.
Good man!
My dad had many sayings, & this sounds like one of them.
"If it doesn't go easy, it's wrong."
🙂

·
Super Moderator
32,567 Posts
And my father would say "Use the right tool for the job." Probably learned that from his machinist father! Can't say I've always followed that advice though. :dunno:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts