Honda Rebel Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Ok so ran the bike for 20 mins and around the block.. no leak. Took it to work later, no leak. Put a piece of cardboard under the bike to double check. When i got home today from work, i didnt see anything. But I looked closer, a very tiny bead of oil on the case. I'm hoping that is just the residual oil that was left in the left hand case.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Just time will tell, sounds like you got it corrected. Lot of trouble sometimes but I'm thinking good job.

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
Ok I think I found it. Took everything off today. Looked at the seal (below) and all looked good as I thought. But there was oil on the back of the sprocket. This led me to believe it was the oil seal I had replaced.

I got the seal back off and it looked fine. No nicks, rips or any tears. But i noticed the edge of the seal.. there was a burr on the metal. I must of been careless prying the old seal off with a screwdriver.

So what i did was put a bead of Ultra Blue sealant on the edge of the oil seal.. pushed in evenly with a large nut. wiped the excess with a gloved finger around the edge of the seal. cleaned up any sealant that was not on the outside edge. Waited an hour to put everything back together. Says to wait 24 hours before running bike. We will see if the sealant fixes the slow leak!

Looking at the first photo, at about eleven O'clock there is a vee shaped artifact that looks like a puncture in the aluminum. Is that an illusion, or is it a hole?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I am not up on all the motorcycle language but when you say the seal was (blown out) do you mean it was forced out of the housing and was laying in the cover housing or that it was just leaking? The seals are pretty snug in the housing and it would take a lot of pressure to (blow it out). If just excess oil is leaking past the seal no amount of sealer will help. If crankcase pressure levels are high enough to force oil out the seal I would be testing for excess leakage past the rings. You could adapt an air hose into the spark plug at TDC and apply about 10 lbs of air and listen down the oil fill or crankcase exhaust hose for escaping air. There should be minimal pressure maybe only ounces. If the pressure is excessive then new rings will be in order.

·
Super Moderator
29,134 Posts
I doubt you are going to hear anything from this member on this six year old thread since they haven't logged on in over four years. He said in one of his posts that he was careless in prying out the old seal. So no, it didn't blow out explosively, but "blowing the seal" is a common term for what happened.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts