Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm coming up on the 8,000 mile mark on my '09. According to the little owner's manual, I'm to do a valve adjustment and an oil screen cleaning. Thanks to this wonderful forum I'm a pro (well, almost) on the former, but I've never done the latter ... and a YouTube video made it look like a scary proposition (e.g., disconnect the clutch cable, meaning I probably mess up the gear shift, the need to use an impact wrench etc.) I'm HOPING one of the wise heads here will tell me I can skip this, as the screen is usually OK (not particularly dirty) if you do check it ... and I already use a magnetic oil plug, and change the oil more frequently than 1000 miles, so my oil shouldn't be particularly mucky! Maybe adding Seafoam to the oil and running the engine for ten minutes just before changing the oil would do the trick?

·
Super Moderator
29,136 Posts
IMO, there is no need to check the oil screen unless you are already in the engine for some other reason (clutch, transmission, etc.). Due to its large mesh, it will only stop fairly large chunks of metal from entering the oil pump, and it will take many of them to restrict oil flow. No one here has ever reported a dirty, much less clogged, oil screen. I believe it's a CYA recommendation Honda's legal department insisted on. Mechanically, it's not needed.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
flitecontrol, you're my demigod! I'm SO relieved that I don't really need to do the screen ... now on to the valves (the no-need-to-remove-the-seat method!)

... and on the plus side, I can sue you if my engine seizes up!

·
Registered
289 Posts
adding Seafoam to the oil
I would never do this, reducing the lubrication effectiveness of the oil then running the engine is not a good idea.

If you're already changing the oil frequently, the cleaning job is already happening. Modern oils have detergents and suspension additives that already perform the role of cleaning and keeping the contaminants in the oil so they leave when you drain it.

·
Super Moderator
29,136 Posts
Lexiyntax is right, and I should have caught this. Seafoam isn't going to get things cleaner than they already are with your oil change interval.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
IMO, there is no need to check the oil screen unless you are already in the engine for some other reason (clutch, transmission, etc.). Due to its large mesh, it will only stop fairly large chunks of metal from entering the oil pump, and it will take many of them to restrict oil flow. No one here has ever reported a dirty, much less clogged, oil screen. I believe it's a CYA recommendation Honda's legal department insisted on. Mechanically, it's not needed.
... my next question: I noticed there's a bit of greasy/dirty oil around the cylinder head cover (near the plugs, and near the gasket) ... I think it's relatively new ... should I replace the rubber gasket when I do the valve adjustment, or might reassembly to torque specs fix any minor leak (and, I'd like a good place to buy the gasket!)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts