Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I changed out my spark plugs, I noticed that they had a dark deposit on on the part that you gap. It smelled like oil. The bike started up fine, but I'm starting to have issues getting it going again, and I'm wondering if it's related to the oil that I found on the plugs. Any thoughts as to where to start when it comes to diagnosing this? I just want to ride my damn bike without worrying constantly.

·
Super Moderator
29,134 Posts
Sounds like it could be worn rings. A compression test will help identify any problems. There's a how-to on compression testing procedure stickied in the Wrenching sub forum. Many auto parts stores loan compression testers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like it could be worn rings. A compression test will help identify any problems. There's a how-to on compression testing procedure stickied in the Wrenching sub forum. Many auto parts stores loan compression testers.
Hi flite-
I did a compression test two weeks ago to determine to rule out some other issues; the compression in each cylinder was a little over 160PSI which is spec according to the manual that I'm using.

·
Super Moderator
29,134 Posts
Yes, compression looks good. My next guess would be an overly rich condition. Is the fuel enricher (choke) lever pushed all the way forward after the engine is warm?

·
Registered
47 Posts
If compression is right up there then the next thing would be valve guides and seals, pull the head and check the guides and replace the seals it should take the average shade tree about two days. I did mine along with some other work it took me about a week, the bike runs perfect now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts