Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
There is a small weep hole at the bottom of the engine case cover. If oil is dripping/leaking from it, yes, crank shaft seal blew out. The usual cause of it blowing out is too much oil added after oil change.

·
Super Moderator
32,552 Posts
The weep hole is a Z shaped opening at the bottom of the left side cover. It's there to allow any condensation, or in your case, oil, to drain out. There is no need to replace the side cover gasket; it's just to keep dirt out.

Replacing the seal is fairly straightforward, especially if you have a service manual. The seal is a 35X52X7 mm size and any store that sells oil seals (Advance Auto, Autozone) probably has one for a lot less than getting it from a Honda dealer.

·
Super Moderator
32,552 Posts
Yes, just a regular seal of the size listed above is all you need. Glue is not recommended as it isn't needed and could get into the engine and cause problems. The seal is a friction fit, like most oil seals. When installing it, be careful to install it evenly into the hole. A pipe or socket the correct size helps align it properly.

Again, the gasket is only there to keep foreign material out. Unless the gasket has been damaged, the weep hole is the only place oil and condensation can come from. If you want to see the weep hole, take a picture of the bottom of the left crankcase cover, or lie on the floor and look for it. Often, oil coming out of the weep hole is blown back further onto the case when riding, giving the false impression the gasket is leaking.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
I put gasket sealer (silicone type) on the outside of the seal to hold it in place better. You won't contaminate the inside of the engine with sealer applied on the outside of the seal.

·
Super Moderator
32,552 Posts
Not being condescending, just want to be sure it's understood. Members here range from almost no experience to master mechanics and I often have no way of knowing which it is. I'd rather be repetitive than fail to tell someone what they may not know.

Reactions: garicao and DanR

·
Premium Member
1985, 86 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
3,412 Posts
Yes, bike held level, then dip stick setting in the hole, not threaded in.

·
Super Moderator
32,552 Posts
I'm led to ask why. Unless the engine has been seriously damaged, filling the oil to the proper level is the logical next step.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts