Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1987 rebel 2004 sportster
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 87 cmx250 is the best rebel I’ve had. Starts instantly, runs perfectly with one exception…..it will occasionally hesitate or lose power in the high speed range. It feels like it is either starving for fuel or running on one cylinder. This only lasts a few seconds. On a hour long ride it might do this once or twice, sometimes not at all. The Chinese tank has a built-in vent and flow from the tank seems to be normal. Spark is good on both sides. Any suggestions on what i should check?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1985, 86 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
3,412 Posts
Are those the original spark coils?? I've had that happen with my old coils on my '85 before I replaced them. It started happening shortly after riding in a misty rain. The reason I'm thinking this, is the higher the revs the higher the voltage goes, and more likely to jump an arc across.
After replacing them with coils off my '87, I haven't had the problem since. I bought some aftermarket coils, but i don't trust them enough to install them yet.
" Keep the old so long as it's good, accept the new as soon as it's better."

·
Premium Member
1987 rebel 2004 sportster
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are those the original spark coils?? I've had that happen with my old coils on my '85 before I replaced them. It started happening shortly after riding in a misty rain. The reason I'm thinking this, is the higher the revs the higher the voltage goes, and more likely to jump an arc across.
After replacing them with coils off my '87, I haven't had the problem since. I bought some aftermarket coils, but i don't trust them enough to install them yet.
" Keep the old so long as it's good, accept the new as soon as it's better."
Great idea Emil- I will try swapping coils. I am sure that I have some, just a matter of finding them:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts