Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi,

Today while coming to work, Starting from the red light, my bike stopped (Actually... Went into reserve). But after that, it didn't start.. Absolutely dead. So, I pulled out, Push-started it and made it to the work. As i had a toolbox and a multimeter at my seat, i tried checking..
- Fuse (20 Amp) is OK.
- Battery shows 12.7 Volts..
- But when i turn the ignition switch on, voltage drops to zero.
Which could either mean that the battery is dead, or there is some short somewhere in the circuit..
- After push-starting it shows all the signs of a non-existent-battery, i.e, as if it only runs from the alternator.. i.e Headlight works OK, Horn works OK, Turning indicator stays on (Not blinking).. (This last one is a serious issue..)
This could mean that there is mostly no shorts.. and the battery is just gone.. Should I just try to get a new battery and change it? Or is there anything else i can try out?

Thanks a Lot
Raj

·
Super Moderator
30,346 Posts
I had a similar thing happen and the battery was bad. If you get a new one, Yuasa is hard to beat. Good quality and lasts for many years.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response..
Yes, it was the battery. I got the battery on my way back home (Yuasa.. but It appeared to be a bit costlier than what i saw in the web), changed it and it works fine.

Thanks
Raj

·
Super Moderator
30,346 Posts
Good deal. The best battery prices I've come across were always online.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Batteries can show a good voltage but still be bad, it's called float voltage. In order for a battery to be properly checked you need to remove the float voltage, this can be done by leaving the motor off but turning the lights on for 10 or 15 seconds and testing the battery, if it's above 9.6 volts it's probably ok, if not then probably bad. There are other ways to do this, but this article has some good information:

How to Test Your Car Battery

·
Registered
71 Posts
Check unplug your turn signal relay and see if it changes. When I got my rebel it was bad and it kept shorting out and eventually kept blowing fuses. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Besides the battery/charging system is completely separated from the ignition system. They both run off separate coils within the stator.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts