Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks,

I have a small work area for my motorcycle and would prefer to use non toxic products and such where possible. I'm looking for a chain cleaner and lube for my rebel 250 chain, which I assume is an o-ring chain.

I've been scouring the internet for a few days on this topic, but haven't come with any definitive answer.

Cleaning:
Simple green, apparently, isn't great for the o-rings.
Putting my chain in an ultrasonic cleaner isn't going to happen.

Waxing:
In the old days they would heat the chain in a pot of wax. Probably too much for how little space I have. Also, not sure if that is overkill or even good for o-ring chains?

I also found a resource on bike chains, which talks about making your own wax out of Paraffin Wax, Paraffin Oil, and a Xylene alternative (at a roughly 40/40/20 mix). This seems promising.

Any ideas / tips / suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
29,169 Posts
I use a rag sprayed with diesel fuel or kerosene to clean the chain. WD-40 might be more environment friendly, but I'm not sure. Neither will damage the O-rings.

There are many commercially made wax type chain lubricants on the market. I use this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Liquid-Performance-Chain-Lube-Cobra-50-50cc-DRR-Apex-KTM-KX-Polini-ECX-CX-Honda/232797618588?epid=1036739074&hash=item3633d1c19c:g:zjEAAMXQATlRaiLk

This also has good reviews: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001B0VDC2/ref=as_li_tf_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B001B0VDC2&SubscriptionId=AKIAIPFZKKNXUR5ABTTA&linkCode=as2&tag=bestprodtag81379-20

·
Registered
24 Posts
I personally use wd-40 for cleaning with a rag and nylon brush (might invest in a grunge brush soon). For lubricant, gear oil. Nothing expensive but it works well. Bottle of wd-40 and gear oil could go for many cleaning sessions for about $8.

Edit:
Just realized you're looking for non-toxic chemicals.. not sure how much I can help there but hope to can find something that works for you 😊

1 - 3 of 3 Posts