Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a rebel and I cant get it to start. The starter will turn fine so I tested to see if my plugs were sparking and they are doing nothing but they look like brand new plugs. My bike sat for almost a year without a battery so I guess im asking is it possible for the plugs to just die like that??

·
Super Moderator
29,320 Posts
Does it have a charged battery in it? Try jumping the battery with a car battery (engine not running) and see if it cranks. If it does, the bike battery is weak.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes the battery when fully charged will turn it over and jumping it turns it over a little faster but when I turned it over to see if they were sparking I got nothing

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
do you have the kill switch set to run?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Well getting into more detailed problems, i had the same problem with mine about a year ago..it turned out to be i had a lose wire to the stator, its not hard to get into so check that..a week after i got my "loose wire problem" fixed at the shop it broke down again, and yes once again with no spark...this time my stator got fried....and the cdi box.......and pulse generator.......but check with the easiest stuff to get to first....i hope the solution comes cheap and simple to ya! Goodluck!

·
Registered
314 Posts
What I was getting at with regard to clutch switch and kickstand switch was real basic. If trying to start in gear with the clutch pulled in it should start with the clutch not engaged the bike will not start. With regard to the kickstand...if you try to take off in gear with the stand down the engine will cut off.

These circuits both affect the engine spark. It will either spark or not if the proper conditions are met or not met.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have made the mistake BillA speaks of.... and spent hours trying to figure it out. My wife gets on the bike puts teh stand up, pulls in the clutch and it fires up.

So I go back in the garage, re-create my mistake, and determine I have an intermittant electrical problem. Wife can start bike everytime, I can't.

This was on our last Rebel, I have since learned that the .gov is here to protect us from ourselves and thiings don't always work like I want them to.

Wife...... she just follows all the MSF safety rules and never thinks twice about it.

Go figure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
do you have the kill switch set to run?
Mate - came upon your good advice regarding kill switch and it turned out to be exact problem (blush)!!!
Very many thanks

Had assumed it was like my k series BMW and that it wouldn't crank with kill switch in off position - wrong!!

Cheers

Rawdon

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have three wires on the neutral safety switch connector. How do I bypass these to check if the switch is working?

·
Super Moderator
3,660 Posts
You can use a multimeter to check if you have 0 resistance through the switch while it is in neutral and the opposite when the transmission is in gear. Just temporarily unhook the switch from the wiring harness to assure that is is isolated.

I think only one of those wires goes to the neutral switch and it is a green wire on my 1985 Rebel.

You didn't mention what year bike you have.

·
Super Moderator
29,320 Posts
If you put your bike info in your signature, folks will know without having to ask.

·
Banned
767 Posts
I have had failures of the clutch and sidestand switches on several bikes, mostly due to corrosion. I just removed and bypassed mine, but I cannot recommend doing that. You could do it temporarily to see if that is the problem.

But first, did you have the plugs grounded to the engine? They won't spark unless they are touching the engine. I'm not familiar with the electrical system on the Rebel, but it is pretty basic, other than the CDI. Get a service manual and a multimeter and start tracing it down. If it is not intermittent it should be pretty easy.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Back to no spark and what I have done.
-Tested kickstand switch, 0 resistance and 1 resistance in different positions
-Tested clutch switch, 0 resistance and 1 resistance in different positions
-Replaced CDI module
-Replaced spark plugs
---No spark
-Ignition switch and engine stop switch (Black/White-Green from CDI harness) no continuity with ignition switch on and engine stop switch to run
-Exiter coil (Black/Red-Green from CDI harness) 135Ohm
-Pulse generator (Blue/Yellow-Green from CDI harness) 118Ohm
-Ignition coil Primary (Black/Yellow-Green from CDI harness) 1.2Ohm
-Ignition coil secondary NOT tested yet, what are these value measured from?
-Ignition coils measured across poles and I didn't write down the value but not 0 and not 1, will get tonight.
---No spark
-I have wrapped a bare metal wire around the spark plug and twisted it to the engine to verify grounding
-Fusible links are good 20A and 10A
-Took off Engine kill switch and the contacts look clean, even though it is supposed to be an open circuit to start!
---No spark when turning over engine.

1999 Honda Rebel CMX250C2 -Stock-

·
Super Moderator
3,660 Posts
get a wiring diagram and look to see where the power lead is - test it

there are a number of threads on this forum where people have either posted or shared the diagram - you should be able to find it by using the search feature

1 - 20 of 50 Posts