Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I recently got 2 1985 Honda rebel 250s one of them has a few mechanical issues that I’m getting parts for but it has spark and the other bike I have won’t start due to no spark so I’ve taken the coil packs, cdi, and voltage regulator and put them on the bike that has spark in order to test them and I was still getting spark from the first bike after switching all the parts, so I tested all the wires at all connections for continuity and found that all of my wires are good, what would you guys recommend testing next because I also tested ohms between the wires in the two wire connector coming from the alternator and stator and it was reading right at 100 ohms which is what the manual I have for the bike says it should be reading so what’s the next step that you guys would recommend? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
3,674 Posts
pulse/trigger generator is listed to be between 90-100 ohms..
you would need to test the Exciter coil that supplies power to CDI, it should read between 270-340 ohms

ohms testing is a poor method of static testing as electrical windings can break down under load.. Honda updated testing using Peak Voltage Tester in conjunction with multimeter..
Font Parallel Paper Paper product Document
Font Parallel Paper Document Illustration
Font Parallel Rectangle Paper Paper product

Reactions: Walnut311

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
3,674 Posts
BTW you didn't indicate if Black/White circuit in 2 pin CDI connector has continuity to ground..
There should be No continuity to ground with ignition key On and kill switch set to Run position..

Black/Red in the 2 pin CDI connector is Exciter coil circuit
Blue/Yellow in the 4 pin CDI connector is the Pulse Generator circuit..

Be sure to use middle position of Key switch.. All the way to the right is P parking position which disables CDI while lighting taillight and allowing key to be removed..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So the black wire with a white stripe in the 2 pin connector going into the cdi doesn’t have any continuity to ground with the key on and the hand controls set to the run position but the black wire with a red stripe does, I’m adding a picture of the two pin connector I was testing at but also what exactly does a peak voltage adapter do because I do not currently have one also when testing ohms on between the two wires coming from the pulse generator trigger I am getting 98 ohms and went testing ohms at the two wire connector going into the cdi I get the reading of 258 ohms with the key off and nothing with the key on so is there any other testing I can do with out the peak voltage regulator for the time being. Thanks again

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
3,674 Posts
your readings are within what I would consider margin of error for good readings..
I'd double check wiring, one member found Black/Yellow circuit short between the CDI and coil primary connection..

if not wiring, exciter and pulse generator voltage output needs to be confirmed..
another member or two found pulse generator was bad and easy to replace than there are some Rebels parked as basket cases awaiting stator that will never be located..
2nd gen stator is physically larger than 1st gen

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
3,674 Posts
I see at least one used on ebay.. your 100 ohm reading indicates it's good..
obsolete parts are often easier to find by searching for part number 30300-KR3-671

testing will save time and money imo rather than throwing parts at it..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts