Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all I got a 2002 Rebel and I went out to lunch on this very fine day on my bike. Came back to it in the parking lot, put the keys in, kickstand up, flipped the switch, got nothing, no clicking, no turning over. No neutral lights, no headlights. Bike was fine coming in, no drops. Any ideas? I don't have too much experience with bikes so any suggestions are appreciated. Cheers.

·
Super Moderator
32,552 Posts
Have you checked the fuses and made sure someone hasn't taken or disconnected the battery? Once running, the Rebel doesn't need a battery. It could be that something vibrated loose while you were riding. Check the connections on the battery and the ground cable to the engine to be sure they are tight and not corroded.

You can jump start it from a car battery, but be sure the car engine is off.

·
Administrator
5,077 Posts
Battery's can fail suddenly. Sometimes a piece of scale can fall off and short out a couple of cells. Others here who are more knowledgeable may have a different opinion on this, in my experience it seems like hooking up any 12v battery will give you an idea if it's your battery, That includes a car or truck battery. If it were mine, I would disconnect the MC battery and jump to a known good battery and see how it responds.

·
Premium Member
17,769 Posts
it des sound like the battery has died.

·
Registered
13,264 Posts
Battery's can fail suddenly. Sometimes a piece of scale can fall off and short out a couple of cells. Others here who are more knowledgeable may have a different opinion on this, in my experience it seems like hooking up any 12v battery will give you an idea if it's your battery, That includes a car or truck battery. If it were mine, I would disconnect the MC battery and jump to a known good battery and see how it responds.
This is true.. Batteries can die very quickly with no prior warning. Jumpering to another battery will tell you for sure.

·
Super Moderator
32,552 Posts
You can try charging the old battery, but if it won't take and hold a charge, get a Yuasa AGM battery to replace it. Top quality, no maintenance, and lasts many years. Amazon usually has good prices.

·
Registered
13,264 Posts
Did you try jumpering from a car battery as several have suggested already. if that works then you know for sure its a battery issue.
Unless you load tested your battery it could still be the problem.
If your battery is OK then suspect a battery terminal connection, ground connection, or a main fuse. That's about it.

·
Super Moderator
32,552 Posts
When the Chinese battery in my VN750 failed, it had 12 volts but no amps. Jump it. It doesn't cost anything, and it will reveal quite a bit.

·
Super Moderator
32,552 Posts
PLEASE don't post the same issue on more than one thread (three no less!). It's confusing and frustrating when someone replies to one post and then finds someone else already answered another

Reactions: 01-7700

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
3,478 Posts
2005 Rebel has 3 fuses. Two glass tube 10A fuses in fuse block, One 20A blade Main fuse is inserted in top of starter relay and is likely blown.
Rectangle Gas Electric blue Font Auto part

·
Registered
26 Posts
here i go again my honda rebel 250 ny bike runs AWESOME but everytime it start it runs awesome and then i go to start it it just drags and wont start i bought new stater new battery new coils when i go rideing its but when i go to start it it acts like the battery i dont no

·
Super Moderator
32,552 Posts
Sounds like either the battery is bad or it isn't being charged. Cheap, easy test is to jump it from a car with the car engine off. If it starts right up, the battery is weak.

Several members here have reported new batteries that were bad right out of the box. Did you charge the battery before installing it? Was the acid already in the battery or did you have to add it?

·
Super Moderator
32,552 Posts
What drags, the starter? Have you taken the steps suggested in the replies to your posts? If yes, what happened, and if no, why not?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts