Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have a ca 125 rebel 1998. I bought it from a guy who was seemingly clueless when he assembled it. I found a few problems with the motor, the clutch was assembled wrong, so was the gear lever return spring. I have been riding it for about 400 miles now, and just discovered it has a missing 5th gear (I know, but i never realised it had 5) The engine is running very nice apart from this, plugs are a lovely brown colour.

Now the question is, what would cause the missing 5th gear? From 4th, the lever will not move up at all. I am still using the bike, but i am going to order a full gasket set this week to sort it at some point.

So, missing fork? or something else? could the drum be in the wrong position?

thanks

Tigger

·
Registered
671 Posts
I am brain dead when it comes to mechanical things on bikes, aside from maybe being able to change out a battery, oil a chain, check the oil and so forth...

Your dilemma sounds frustrating and mysterious to me...I have no advice and merely want to say I empathize with your situation and wish you the best.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Start by assuring your shifter linkage is Parallel

Attachments

Reactions: Bokobob

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will. the actual gear change is ok, strangly neutral is very easy to find, and the change has a nice feeling click into each gear too.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Start by assuring your shifter linkage is Parallel
That is one terrible sketch. I've seen that 50 times, and I still don't really follow what it means. Parallel? What is it that needs to be parallel? And parallel to what?

They both look too similar. There's very little difference between the 2 sketches. It should be exaggerated so it is more apparent. My bike is new, so I don't have an issue. But from the beginning, I thought those sketches did a poor job of explaining what it means.

Maybe it's just me though.

7milesout

·
Super Moderator
29,477 Posts
Think it would also help the diagram if the non-parallel illustration showed the two alignment dots on the shift shaft assembly not matching up. The top dot is there, but the bottom is missing. Both are present in the parallel illustration.

Reactions: deere245

·
Registered
386 Posts
Yes, that's way mo' bettuh. After enough iterations of staring at that thing, that what I figured it must have been referring to (being parallel).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts