Honda Rebel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of November's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 1986 250 Rebel that was stored outside & is in need of a lot of TLC. $200 & 7000 miles. It is not the special edition. Engine supposedly runs but didn't even try due to the weather. I should have more than enough parts to do it. Mostly it looks solid, just lots of rust spots on the chrome.
After the Lake Hope Rally, & Deb allowing my wife to sit on her Rebel, (again Thank you, Thank you!), she wants to try to ride! I hope that I can get this going for her by the time she, (meaning I'll go too:cautious: :rolleyes:), gets through the motorcycle safety course. I want her to be safe if she rides, so it's very important!

·
Registered
564 Posts
Congratulations on getting another Rebel. Is it an addition or multiplication?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I went through the safety course back in 97. I had already ridden for 25 years and didn’t expect to get much from it. I was wrong. Everyone should take that course. Grats on the winter project. I hope we have them ready by spring. It has been too cold for me to even take it off the back of the truck yet.

·
Premium Member
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Congratulations on getting another Rebel. Is it an addition or multiplication?
It is my 3rd Rebel. The 1985 is the everyday rider, the 1987 is the wrecked parts bike, & hopefully, this'll be for my wife. Although it says it's a 1986, manufactured date is 10/85, so I'm hoping it already has the same carburetor jets as the 1985. 😁
And DanR, I left it in the trailer overnight too. We'll see how long it takes for me to get it out much less done.

Reactions: DanR

·
Super Moderator
31,333 Posts
Great find.

·
Premium Member
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Only wish it had a title. I'm working to get that now. If I go to court for it it's $300 to start. I'm trying to go a different route finding the original owner. They've already been sent a letter, so we'll see what happens.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Only wish it had a title. I'm working to get that now. If I go to court for it it's $300 to start. I'm trying to go a different route finding the original owner. They've already been sent a letter, so we'll see what happens.
I am not fond of buying a vehicle without a tittle. I hope things work out in your favour.
What are the options if the original owner does not respond, says he has lot the title, is not traceable or has passed away?

·
Premium Member
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I am not fond of buying a vehicle without a tittle. I hope things work out in your favour.
What are the options if the original owner does not respond, says he has lot the title, is not traceable or has passed away?
🙂 that leaves several.
1st mentioned earlier, pay $300 to get the court to judge on weather I should get a title.
2nd, save for another parts bike.
3rd, part it out & recoup much more than expended to get it.
I checked the VIN prior to this & knew that wasn't stolen.

·
Premium Member
2003 rebel 2004 sportster
196 Posts
[/QUOTE
🙂 that leaves several.
1st mentioned earlier, pay $300 to get the court to judge on weather I should get a title.
2nd, save for another parts bike.
3rd, part it out & recoup much more than expended to get it.
I checked the VIN prior to this & knew that wasn't stolen.
Also services in Vermont, maybe elsewhere….

·
Registered
564 Posts
I had bought a bike. When the seller was signing the title, after we had exchanged keys and the money, te seller pointed out that the mileage is a bit of a discrepancy in the mileage indicated on the title. I should have compared the odometer reading indicated on the title (from a neighbouring state) with the odometer on the bike but since it had an LCD odometer, I didn't feel like turning the key on. We brought the bike home. When we compared the two numbers, the title indicated more miles than those on the odometer. The odometer showed about 80 miles less than that indicated on the title at the time the title was issued. The biked had been owned by the seller's daughter, who had committed suicide. When he transferred the title, he accidentally gave their DMV higher number of miles than on the odometer.

I changed the oil and filter and got the bike inspected. I called DMV of my state and told them about it discrepancy in miles. DMV was insistent that they would not issue me a title for the bike as there is a possibility that someone might have tampered with the odometer. They asked me to have the seller get a new title from his state. I called the seller and told him what happened. He came to take the bike back and gave me a refund. He also reimbursed me for the cost of oil and filter, as well as the inspection fee. Of course my labour was free. It took him three months to get a new title. BY then I had bought the bike I have now.

·
Premium Member
2003 rebel 2004 sportster
196 Posts
Emil, if you google “Vermont title trick” the process is explained. Lots cheaper than $300…I am still pulling for your plan A but there are other good options!

·
Super Moderator
31,333 Posts
Vermont avoids a judge denying you title and is probably cheaper.

I had a seller incorrectly record the mileage on a Rebel I bought and it delayed getting a title in my name. Per DVM instructions, I took it to State Police and had the current mileage noted on their inspection form. Took the form to DMV and got title that day.

·
Premium Member
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I found out that the previous owner lives 5 minutes up the street from me & a nice guy too! I drove 1 1/2 hours to pick it up, Wow! I should have the title in hand by Thursday.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts