Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of November's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1985 Honda Rebel 250
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello yall. I was given a 1985 Honda Rebel from my FIL. He had it running, but it has set in one of his buildings for at least 10 years. Tried to jump start it, but not getting any power. No lights or anything.

For a little background, I have been on 2 wheels since I was 10. Rode dirtbikes for years (XR80R), but had a bad wreck that messed up my knee and I got out of it. The itch never went away, so I built a mini bike and have been cruising around on it. It tops out at ~56 mph. My step dad had a Shadow when I was a kid, and I rode it around some, but have never really rode much on the road.

Any way, glad to be here and look forward to getting this little rebel back on the road.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

Reactions: TSpark and R_Bell

·
Premium Member
85,86,87 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
2,726 Posts
Welcome! Nice project! I'm working on fixing up an 86 myself. Keep posting pics as you progress.
Unfortunately for my bike, recently I have been overwhelmed with other things to do. But I'm looking forward to getting back to it as soon as these other projects are done.

Reactions: JSJJ388

·
Registered
1985 Honda Rebel 250
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome! Nice project! I'm working on fixing up an 86 myself. Keep posting pics as you progress.
Unfortunately for my bike, recently I have been overwhelmed with other things to do. But I'm looking forward to getting back to it as soon as these other projects are done.
Yea, Ive got too many irons in the fire. Between FD training, an autistic toddler, a project jeep, project truck, project bike, and now project boat Im not gonna have time for useless things like work lol. Hoping the bike is a pretty simple project to get going.

·
Premium Member
85,86,87 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
2,726 Posts
There isn't much to these. If the carbs are clean and the engine has no problems, the rest is Easy!

·
Super Moderator
7,942 Posts
Welcome to forum n enjoy your ride

·
Registered
1985 Honda Rebel 250
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Small update. Wiped everything down and gave the bike a quick wash off. After tearing the bike apart to find out why there was no 12v power, I realized that the ignition switch was dirty and I didnt see it was a 3 position switch, with on in the middle. Boy did I feel dumb. Anyway, got it to run on starter fluid, now pulling the carb to clean it up. Any advice for cleaning the chrome without destroying it?

·
Premium Member
2,726 Posts
I buy a container of cleaner from Walmart called "Pink". It's in the household chemicals isle. It cleans chrome & painted surfaces without scratching. It comes in a small white tub with pink lettering on it.

·
Super Moderator
31,738 Posts
Once clean and waxed, many use lemon Pledge spray to keep it clean. Dirt and dust don't adhere to it very well and the occasional wipe down cleans things up.

·
Premium Member
2,726 Posts
^^^^Ditto on the Lemon Pledge!

·
Registered
1985 Honda Rebel 250
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got the carb soaking in Chem dip.

Reactions: Markrkolb
1 - 14 of 14 Posts