Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner

New to it all

882 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Emil 
#1 ·
Brand new to motorcycling. I don’t even know how to ride yet. Still, just got my first motorcycle - a white, 2006 CMX250C. It’s been sitting in a friend’s storage unit for about five years. Needless to say, my first goal is to get it to start. Honestly, I am a little excited that this will force me to get to know my bike.

Bike details - My friend drove the bike into storage without any problems. He let it set there longer than expected. Went back and the bike wouldn’t start. He put in a new battery (maybe three years ago) and the bike still wouldn’t turn over. His next thing to try was to clean the carburetor but never got to it.

Another friend who is really into motorcycles (he has built a few) says I should clean out the carburetor, flush out the gas tank, put in fresh gas, get a new battery, change the oil and reassess. So far, this is my gameplan to try to get it to turn over. I’ll replace the tires once I’m ready to drive it. Any other maintenance suggestions for a bike that has sat for this long and won’t start?

I’m excited to use this forum to get the bike up and running and to meet new people with similar interest in this bike. I’ll post more pictures soon and try to document my progress along the way. My goal is to get this bike up and running, learn to ride, and take an MSF course before next riding season starts.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Motor vehicle

See less See more
#5 ·
Welcome! Once you get it fixed & used to riding, the yearly Cave City meet shouldn't be too far for you. Nice Rebel!
Put a tablespoon of oil into each of the cylinders, let it set for a day & then turn the engine by hand 1st before trying to start it. This is just to make sure that it'll turn all the way round before cranking it with the starter. Other than that, it seems that you're on the right path to getting it done.

Reactions: Soblest
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.