Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!
I have a 1986 Honda Rebel 450 I inherited from my uncle. It was running once i got a new battery but now there is a new issue. I will be changing the cables as they are corroded but I am unsure if this will solve it. I am pretty new to bikes in general but the bike just wont get enough power to start. Hopefully someone here will be able to give some tips :)

·
Super Moderator
29,320 Posts
Welcome. Try jumping it from a car battery, but be sure the car's engine is off. If it starts, the bike battery is weak. Make sure the ground connection at the frame isn't corroded or loose.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Welcome.

Happy to see another 450 rise from the ashes!

Careful with that car battery jumping stuff, you can 'melt' things.

Charging the battery is much safer. If you have a hill or can do so, push starting might be worth a try.

I would recommend checking your stator and regulator/rectifier w/a multimeter. These systems maintain/charge the battery when riding and a new battery should not die out easily.

Check for spark too. Fresh plugs are a way cheap investment. Is that CDI 30 years old? A new CDI is not a cheap investment, but well worth the peace of mind (for me at least)

A full tune up is always a good idea!

With a service manual and this site, you'll be rolling soon!

·
Super Moderator
7,813 Posts
Welcome to forum n enjoy your ride

·
Registered
6 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I also have a 86 450 rebel that i have bought as a new rider. I will enjoy watching your progress as I'm sure i may encounter some of these issuses eventually. Please keep us posted on your progress.

·
Super Moderator
29,320 Posts
When jumping from a car battery, as long as it is 12 volts to 12 volts there is no problem, just dont start the car's engine.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
When jumping from a car battery, as long as it is 12 volts to 12 volts there is no problem, just don't start the car's engine.

I get it, just personally, I have never been a fan of that and will do all I can to avoid having to, myself.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Welcome and hope you get your problems sorted out soon and you will get to enjoy your new-to-you bike...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello! I am also a new proud owner of an 86 450 rebel! I am also getting problems with starting up the bike! This thing has been a headache, just got I back from the mechanic 2 days ago after getting a new clutch as mine was burnt out... Well I picked her up and went for a rip for most of the day. Bike was working fine, nothing alarming.. stopped at a McDonald's and after 20 mins of eating and smoking, when I went to turn the key, it of course.. won't turn on.. now I just spent approx 420 at the mechanic, and I don't Have a lot of money! Also rolling that home sucked

So here's the process/troubleshooting I've tried...

1. Turned key to ON, all lights turn on, kill switch is pushed to ON, Bike is in neutral, kickstand up, pull in clutch and simultaneously hit start and apply a little throttle. All I get is a "spinning Power tool sound" that seems to come from the alternator and the bike does not start.

(I've tried this in all gears, clutch lever not pulled, kickstand down, no throttle, kill switch off and just pressing START, still I get the same sound)

I've tried:

- spark plugs changed, oil changed, fuel valve switched to on off and reserve, played around with the choke as well...

-fully charged the battery overnight, pos and neg connection from battery good, tried jump-starting from a car

Checked other connections such as the fuse

Possible theories:

- sounds like the cam chain is moving but the bike isn't turning over.

- spark plug wires bad,

-possibly CDI?

I am a newb and I need help and I just want to RIDE MY BIKE!

I am picking up a multimeter today so that might rule some stuff out, and a torque wrench to get the alternator cover off.

Any help would be appreciated and I hope
This helps others too!

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
29,320 Posts
Are you getting spark at the plugs? If yes, your starter may be bad, which is an all-to-common issue for the 450. It can be rebuilt, but requires splitting the cases to do so because the starter is inside the engine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts