Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of November's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Calling all mid-Atlantic riders!

Welcome to all you folks in the mid-Atlantic region (Virginia, Maryland, North Carolina, DC, West Virginia, etc). The Honda Rebel Forum powers-that-be honored my request to start a new forum just for us. I pointed out that we never know whether we belong in the "northeast" or the "southeast" (being right in the middle) and so we needed a place to call our own. This is that place. If you live in this area (or just have an interest) please introduce yourself here. Maybe we'll be able to get together and ride, or at least share great places to ride.

My name is Jim and I live in the beautiful Shenandoah Valley of Virginia near Harrisonburg off of I-81. Although I rode a little years ago, I just got my license last November (after taking the MSF course, of course!) and have been riding since buying my first Rebel (a 1987) in January. I'm on my second Reb, having just purchased a 2003 a week ago. The speedo just passed 1000 miles today.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yippppieeeee! I'm up 81 a ways in Harpers Ferry :greetings10::greetings10::greetings10:. Will be sure to keep an eye on what's happening in the region. :dance::dance::dance:

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yippppieeeee! I'm up 81 a ways in Harpers Ferry :greetings10::greetings10::greetings10:. Will be sure to keep an eye on what's happening in the region. :dance::dance::dance:
Nice to meet you, Princess. :greetings10:

The 87 wineberry Rebel has a special place in my heart as that was my first bike.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I live and work in Hampton Roads, Va. I am an avid woodworker, and a Boy Scout leader. I have a wife and two kids.

I learned to ride last summer. I've racked up nearly 4000 miles since then on my Rebel, mostly commuting to work.

We love traveling around Virginia. Some of our favorite places to visit in Virginia include Big Meadows in Shenandoah National Park, Carter Mountain Orchard near Charlottesville, and First Landing State Park in Virginia Beach.

To my delight, my wife has started riding 2 up with me. Since we like to camp so much, we are hoping to do some biking and camping sometime in the not too distant future.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice to meet ya, Aquarian. It sounds like you ride quite a lot (like me). I started in January and have ridden about 2-2.5K miles. I haven't gone very far in a single trip, though. I'd like to try Skyline Drive soon.

I was in the Hampton area a couple months ago. There are some nice bike shops there. I especially liked a Triumph shop I found. (Someday I wouldn't mind a T-100 or Scrambler).

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey, I just noticed in your sig that you have the Skene photo blaster. I just installed one on Saturday, along with the taillight one (the P3). I think I have you to thank for the idea. I feel safer, especially with the 'alert' feature I use to flash at people making left turns.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Cool :cool:! I like to list some of my gear and aftermarket stuff on my Rebel in my signature for that very reason.

I installed the Photon Blaster last fall. I wanted an affordable set of driving lights that would be bright, yet not tax my electrical system. Hence the Photon Blaster. Installation was easy, and so far they've held up to the abuse of daily commuting and foul weather.

Thanks to the slight flicker, the Photon Blaster gets attention, thereby improves forward visibility vs a single headlight. The P3 is on my wishlist. You can see my Skene lights in my photo album.

I'd like to see some pics of your new lights if you get a chance.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yay! Thank you for requesting this region JimH! I've been wondering where we fit in here. I'm in Springfield, VA. I'm still a bit of a newbie rider, having just taken the MSF at the beginning of April and becoming a Rebel owner a couple of weeks after that. It would be great to meet up with some other Rebel riders in the region sometime.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello to all, new to the forum. Just picked up my 09 rebel yesterday in the rain, finally got to have a short ride this evening. I also live in the valley (Stuarts Draft) area to be exact.
Welcome to the forum, and to the Mid-Atlantic sub-forum! :thumb:

You live in a great spot to ride, not far from me. Feel free to tell us more about yourself. Is this your first bike or have you ridden before? Do you have a picture of your bike? (We all love to see people's Rebels).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Warm welcome.

Thanks to all for the warm welcome.

A little about me: I have ridden before but it was about 15 or so years ago, I rode a Fatboy for about a year or so, had kids built a house something had to give blah blah blah.

I grew up with dirt bikes and an entire family who rode so it seemed like second nature, thought since it has been such a long time and the aggressive drivers on the road these days, I should start out smaller and get comfortable again.

Hope to see some of you on the road this summer, Parkway is a nice ride in a car, expect a bike will be better.

I will post some pics when I have a second to take some.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yay! Thank you for requesting this region JimH! I've been wondering where we fit in here. I'm in Springfield, VA. I'm still a bit of a newbie rider, having just taken the MSF at the beginning of April and becoming a Rebel owner a couple of weeks after that. It would be great to meet up with some other Rebel riders in the region sometime.
Where is Springfield, Red?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hello to all, new to the forum. Just picked up my 09 rebel yesterday in the rain, finally got to have a short ride this evening. I also live in the valley (Stuarts Draft) area to be exact.
Hey, you would be the first forum person from the Valley that I've run across!

Do you know about the Ride4Matt group ride tomorrow (Saturday) starting at Blue Ridge Power Sports? It starts at 9:30. I think I'm going to go; it will be my first group ride. If you want to meet up, let me know; it would be nice to have another Rebel rider there... :thumb:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Welcome weapoole, I also have an '09 Rebel.

I saw NC in the first post so I'll say hello from Charlotte, looks like I'm at the southern border of the Mid-Atlantic. :thumb:

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Welcome weapoole, I also have an '09 Rebel.

I saw NC in the first post so I'll say hello from Charlotte, looks like I'm at the southern border of the Mid-Atlantic. :thumb:
Oh, you're definitely MA! :thumb:

I'll bet Charlotte has great places to ride; there's so much beautiful country in western NC. A few years ago we rented a house for a family vacation (I think it was Franklin NC) and fell in love with the place. It had everything we wanted: good fly fishing, lots of rock places, beautiful views, history & culture, and just a lot of great adventure spots.

Hopefully we'll get some more NC people in here.

·
Registered
83 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm in northern Culpeper county. Just took the BRC course at the end of April have been out riding at least one day every weekend since and to/from work on dry days. I started on a 86 Rebel 450 and already had the plan in place to buy my buddies 03 VTX 1300 so I ran the Rebel for around 1200 miles in 4 weeks and then last week started riding the VTX. I love both of them for their own merits. Skyline drive was my second weekend out, we did about 280 miles that day, had a blast!! I'm looking forward to getting together with others in this area!! Thanks for creating this thread for us!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm in northern Culpeper county. Just took the BRC course at the end of April have been out riding at least one day every weekend since and to/from work on dry days. I started on a 86 Rebel 450 and already had the plan in place to buy my buddies 03 VTX 1300 so I ran the Rebel for around 1200 miles in 4 weeks and then last week started riding the VTX. I love both of them for their own merits. Skyline drive was my second weekend out, we did about 280 miles that day, had a blast!! I'm looking forward to getting together with others in this area!! Thanks for creating this thread for us!
You're welcome. Glad to hear about your riding adventures. Hope to hear about more good mid-Atlantic rides!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.