Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 71, retired military, owner of V Star 1300. Just bought a 2012 Rebel and think it's a really fun bike to ride. I enjoy your site. You folks are very welcoming and helpful to those who are seeking advice. I too was wondering if there was an oil filter. I've changed the oil, put in new iridium spark plugs, got familiar with the bike by washing it. We've bonded already. It has only 6K miles and is beautiful. The small bike is so much easier to work on that the cruiser. The quality of the material and workmanship on this bike is great, a real joy to work on. My next project is to replace the tires. I bought Pirelli MT 66 tires. When the weather turns cold and the bike is garaged for a few months I will replace the tires. Again, our site is very helpful. I live in southern Indiana. Do you folks ever get together for a ride? Have you ever done a fund raising ride? I went on one with the governor of Indiana leading it to raise money for veterans. I go to Tanzania each year where I support an orphanage. There are many 125 and 150 Chinese and Indian knock offs of Hondas in these countries. I've seen four people on a 125 cc bike. Rider, little boy on the gas tank, Mom side saddle on back and baby in her arms.

·
Super Moderator
29,549 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and thank you for your service. Every year, there is a get together at Lake Hope State Park in Ohio in mid to late August. Great roads, good food, and really nice folks. Mark your calendar! Lake Hope Rally 14-16 Aug 2020

Reactions: TheJames77

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm 71, retired military, owner of V Star 1300. Just bought a 2012 Rebel and think it's a really fun bike to ride. I enjoy your site. You folks are very welcoming and helpful to those who are seeking advice. I too was wondering if there was an oil filter. I've changed the oil, put in new iridium spark plugs, got familiar with the bike by washing it. We've bonded already. It has only 6K miles and is beautiful. The small bike is so much easier to work on that the cruiser. The quality of the material and workmanship on this bike is great, a real joy to work on. My next project is to replace the tires. I bought Pirelli MT 66 tires. When the weather turns cold and the bike is garaged for a few months I will replace the tires. Again, our site is very helpful. I live in southern Indiana. Do you folks ever get together for a ride? Have you ever done a fund raising ride? I went on one with the governor of Indiana leading it to raise money for veterans. I go to Tanzania each year where I support an orphanage. There are many 125 and 150 Chinese and Indian knock offs of Hondas in these countries. I've seen four people on a 125 cc bike. Rider, little boy on the gas tank, Mom side saddle on back and baby in her arms.
Welcome to the forum, and thank you for your service. Every year, there is a get together at Lake Hope State Park in Ohio in mid to late August. Great roads, good food, and really nice folks. Mark your calendar! Lake Hope Rally 14-16 Aug 2020

Thanks flitecontrol. I will keep the get together in mind. Clymer Service Manual speak of torque specifications. I've never used a torque wrench. Do many of you use them or just go by feel?

·
Super Moderator
29,549 Posts
FYI, the Clymer manual wasn't fully updated between the first generation Rebels (1985-87) and the second (1996-2016). It's the first manual I bought, and my least favorite. I much prefer the Honda manual. I don't torque the oil drain bolt, side cover bolts, and many others. But I do torque the spark plugs, valve cover and axle bolts, and anything internal to the engine. The valve cover bolts can be sheared fairly easily by too much force, I want to be sure the axles are tightened properly, and just don't trust myself winging it with critical internal stuff. Harbor Freight periodically puts their torque wrenches on sale for around $10-12 each. I had a 1/2 drive wrench before getting the Rebel. I have since bought a 3/8" and 1/4" too.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I always use a torque wrench when possible.
And I would advise against the Clymer for torque values, for two reasons:
1. Honda rear suspension states 26Nm upper, 42Nm lower. Clymer says 30-40Nm for both. This means the upper is too tight and the lower is not tight enough.
2. Clymer doesn't do their math correct always. p45 says the cylinder bolts should be 7-10Nm (10-14 ft.lb), that should be 5-7 ft.lb, so you're like to strip if you're using non metric.

I do find the Clymer has more pictures and some procedures have a better breakdown than the shop manual, which assumes you've got a certain level of experience.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I always use a torque wrench when possible.
And I would advise against the Clymer for torque values, for two reasons:
1. Honda rear suspension states 26Nm upper, 42Nm lower. Clymer says 30-40Nm for both. This means the upper is too tight and the lower is not tight enough.
2. Clymer doesn't do their math correct always. p45 says the cylinder bolts should be 7-10Nm (10-14 ft.lb), that should be 5-7 ft.lb, so you're like to strip if you're using non metric.

I do find the Clymer has more pictures and some procedures have a better breakdown than the shop manual, which assumes you've got a certain level of experience.
Thanks for the information. I just got my new Pirelli rear tire and tube today. And, my brother purchased a near identical bike to mine. His is black, 2013, mine is red 2012. Beautifully designed and wonderfully crafted bikes. We're in our 70's and I find the rebel more fun to ride than my V Star 1300.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi again. I picked up a 2012 with only about 1600 miles on it. A week ago I bought a red one, this one is black. My brother gets the red one. On this new one, I noticed that when I place it in neutral and then turn the key to the off position, it doesn't kill the engine. I have to use the "kill switch" to shut down the engine. Am I doing something wrong here or is there a problem? The kickstand is down, so I don't think there is some type of safety to prevent you from dropping the bike (I've done that once). Thanks. Steve

·
Super Moderator
3,841 Posts
key off should kill the engine regardless of gear or kickstand position

·
Super Moderator
29,549 Posts
If it's a first generation Rebel (1985-87), they didn't come with a side stand safety switch. On those models, there is a rubber "leg" that projects off the stand. Hopefully, if you take off with the stand down, the rubber leg will sweep the stand back up before bad things happen. All other models have a side stand switch. I'm wondering if a PO modified the wiring harness.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The issue with the engine running after I turned off the switch has been resolved. I saw a wire on the tip of the kitstand and wiggled it back and forth. Always look for the simplest solution. Apparently there is some sort of safety so that you can't turn the engine off if the kickstand isn't down to prevent you from dropping the bike as you get off. I've done that once with a bigger bike. Good thing no one was looking.

·
Super Moderator
29,549 Posts
I don't have a first generation bike, but you can definitely turn the engine off without the side stand down on second generation. Maybe someone with a first generation bike will clarify.

·
Super Moderator
7,829 Posts
Welcome to forum n enjoy your ride

1 - 12 of 12 Posts