Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cylinder compression is about 1/2 of the specified norm (both jugs). Starter will spin but won’t crank. Plugs are good. Could someone approximate the cost to have an indie replace my rings? Are the correct size rings still available for this bike? Considering the low compression, could the ailment be due to something else? Thanks for input!

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Starter not the issue. Poor choice of terminology on my part. Starter cranks the engine, but engine won’t start. Significant work has occurred, including rebuilding the dual carb assembly. Thinking at this point the rings have failed resulting in compression loss. Bike was idle for many years prior to recent work.

Any input regarding the original questions?

· Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
3,762 Posts

· Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
3,762 Posts
I'm sorry i assume folks have necessary support equipment like air compressor where the opposite is likely to be the case.
injecting low pressure air into cylinder while listening at exhaust, intake, and oil filler for air flow can tell you a lot, you don't have to know what percentage is leaking where..

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually, no on the valve check. I realize they may have something to do with my issue. Here's to hoping it's relatively minor, but that's usually not the level of my "luck". I have an Indie lined up to assist with the troubleshoot in the next couple of weeks. Hopefully it'll all shake out positive and I can get her back on the road.

· Premium Member
1985, 86 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
3,806 Posts
He was last here on Dec. 13 last year, so you'll probably get an answer.... Just not too quickly. ;)

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually... no, I haven't. My original Indie had some scheduling issues and I've engaged with another who is a few bikes ahead of me. I hope to get the "bring it" contact within a couple of weeks. I'll update this post with diagnosis when determined. Thanks for asking...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts