Honda Rebel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm a new member to the Forum. Last Monday I purchased a 2008 CMX250 Rebel with 5,400 miles on it. It was really stumbling when I tried to accelerate, and the seller had the idle screw set for pretty high rpm.. I rode it home 69 miles. Before leaving for home I added 1.5 gals of ethanol, and aired the tires. The bike got stronger as I rode it home. I added another gallon of fuel at home to top it off. I dropped the idle rpm and it will run all day at idle, but when I blip the accelerator it stumbles severely. Twisting the accelerator quickly gets it through the low rpm stumble, and it runs fine above the low rpm stumble. I've added carb cleaner, and will run the bike every day to use the current tankful of fuel and carb cleaner. I'm wondering if I'm barking up the wrong tree thinking this is a clogged carburetor. Any advice?

·
Super Moderator
30,914 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The main issues when someone buys a Rebel are carb related. You are definitely not barking up the wrong tree. More often than not, these issues are resolved with a thorough carb cleaning. You would be in a very small club if you don't have to. Sounds like the accelerator pump circuit is clogged.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your post. I think you are correct. I'm going to use up the current tankful of fuel and then decide the next step. I do notice that slowly and carefully increasing the rpm's allow me to run the engine in the stumbling range. Quickly increasing the rpm's doesn't work. So definitely, there's a problem with the accelerator pump circuit. Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,466 Posts
Welcome to the forum
you might consider using ethanol resistant fuel hose and installing in line fuel filter

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice. I would think by 2008 everyone in the automotive business would be engineering with ethanol in mind, but I'll check that out. As far as the inline fuel filter, that sounds like a great idea.

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,466 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I would think by 2008 everyone in the automotive business would be engineering with ethanol in mind, but I'll check that out. As far as the inline fuel filter, that sounds like a great idea.
Dateline: Mar 11, 2009
Honda to sell world's 1st bike with bio-ethanol mixed fuel in Brazil the capital of bio-ethanol fuels produced using sugar cane..

·
Premium Member
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
927 Posts
Sorry so late to welcome you. Been out riding all day. Had to wait out a horrible thunderstorm under a bridge cars crashing everywhere. Made it home safe though. I think you already know you definitely got a problem with carb. You will definitely enjoy this bike. Economical and balanced.

·
Super Moderator
7,894 Posts
Welcome to forum n enjoy your ride

1 - 8 of 8 Posts