Honda Rebel Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
30,914 Posts
Thank you flitecontrol. Yes I'm looking into a rider course, just want to get a few miles under my belt first.
Hi DNM, It's ok nobody "Hi Jacks" planes anymore, security is too stringent after 9/11.. I only had the one bike 60+ yrs ago and had several spills including 2 that could have been lights out. I hope I'm a lot more wiser and patient than back then. I do have a lot of driving experience without accidents. Now that I'm back in the saddle I'm acutely aware of how vulnerable one is compared to sitting in a car. I haven't done many miles so I'm still in the "feeling things out" stage. I realize in America car drivers are not too aware of motorcyclists.
Cheers,
Jack
I couldn't wait the month or so before my course began, and taught myself some bad habits. Duckster, a late member of this forum, was a riding instructor. He encouraged all riders to stay off the bike until they had taken the course. Unfortunately, he didn't join the forum until well after I completed the course.

Hi Ricky, you're almost young enough to be my son. Yes, it's not like the old days. I've got a good helmet (LS2), jacket , gloves and boots. Trouble is it's been too hot to wear some of the gear. I'm not keen on the boots as there's no feel on the gearshift. Next summer I'll have to look for a different helmet as it gets pretty hot under the shell.
Cheers,
Jack
I live in Louisiana and always ride ATGATT (you'll learn what that means in the course) because I can't predict when a crash may happen. I don't think any rider can. I have mesh jacket and pants and vented gloves, and have ridden in full gear when it was 105 degrees. Really wasn't bad until I came to a stop and the air conditioning quit. Keeping the visor and vents open on my full face helmet minimizes heat buildup. Lest you think I'm a youngster that can tolerate heat better than seniors, I'm 74.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Hi Jack, you might look into pants also. I found some denim ones, they have kevlar and removable knee pads. No hip pads tho. The knee pads feel uncomfortable, but once you sit on the bike you don't notice them. As far as boots - yeah I don't like them either, but I know a nurse who works ER and told me horror stories about motorcycle accidents and what happened to their feet with sneakers. Makes me keep my boots on! Oh well, enough preaching.
Have fun, ride safe.
PS- I got the denim ones so I don't look like a motocross guy!
Hi Ricky,
what make are the pants and where did you buy them. No problem with advice, it's usually all good.
Jack

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The carrier that I bought on the internet only had a 3-foot ramp. I built a 6 1/2 foot ramp for it. In some situations I still use the three footer. That is when I level the RV and I have to raise the front end significantly, then the back end is only a foot off the ground. 😁
Hi Emil,
any pics of your extra supports for the carrier.
Jack

·
Premium Member
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
927 Posts
Hope this gives you an idea. It came with a 2" center support? I used 2) 1 1/4" hitch tubes with some 1 1/4" stock bolted to the carrier.
I also added lights, because the Rebel blocks the regular taillights.
I used 2 rod extension nuts welded to the hitch tubes to lock in the ramp that I made.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Hope this gives you an idea. It came with a 2" center support? I used 2) 1 1/4" hitch tubes with some 1 1/4" stock bolted to the carrier.
I also added lights, because the Rebel blocks the regular taillights.
I used 2 rod extension nuts welded to the hitch tubes to lock in the ramp that I made.
Thanks Emil.
I don't have a steel bumper at the back of RV so I would have to do something different. It seems your carrier is a hanging quite a distance. What is the vertical piece of square tubing behind the ramp for? I will have the same situation as you regarding tail lights so will have to add lights to the carrier also.
Jack

·
Premium Member
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
927 Posts
The square tube coming up was for the spare tire. I took a chain mount and put the spare underneath the back of the RV instead of on the back of it. I do use it now to help strap the bike down, and keep it from falling backwards.
I did think about shortening the carrier tube a little bit so it would ride a little closer to the RV. But, because I plan on using the same carrier on the back of the SUV, I thought it would be wise to leave it the full length.
I also had to raise the license plate so it could be seen, because the wheels blocked a license plate entirely.
P.S. These the tail lights I bought because of the dimensions of them. Also I like how the turn signals sweep outwards.
As far as the spare goes, my RV has 2 different lug nut patterns, 5 lug (front), & 6 lug (back). Leaving the carrier so far back does allow me to add a 6 lug spare if I want.

·
Registered
2002 Honda rebel 250
27 Posts
Hi Ricky,
what make are the pants and where did you buy them. No problem with advice, it's usually all good.
Jack
sorry for the slow reply Jack, my pants are Street & Steel
Hi Ricky,
Jack
sorry for the slow reply Jack,
The pants are Street & Steel Oakland jeans. I bought them at Cycle Gear (the store), but they have a website. here's a link - Street & Steel Oakland Jeans - Cycle Gear
I like them fine, but for the fit - the waist is strechy, I could use at least a size down even after multiple washes. also if you are going to shop online anyway, you can find better prices.
FWIW - rick

21 - 27 of 27 Posts