Honda Rebel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
my name is Jack. I'm 80yrs young and used to ride a Triumph T110 (650cc) back in the early 60's, I survived the crazy street racing days in the UK. I have just bought a 2009 Rebel 250 and am in the process of learning to ride again and I must say it's not as easy as I remember from my youth. I bought this bike to haul on the back of my RV so I can more extensively explore the locals that I will visit.
I have to say I'm impressed with the forum subjects I've viewed and the quality of the information that other riders have given. I'm sure I will be seeking guidance from time to time.
Thank you in advance to you all.
Jack

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,502 Posts
Welcome to the forum Jack
We do what we can to help others around here

·
Super Moderator
30,969 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Lots of helpful folks here. since it's been a while since you've ridden, you might want to enroll in a basic rider course. Every state offers them.

·
Premium Member
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
1,026 Posts
Welcome Jack. I just recently installed carrier on the back of my RV. It carries the rebel like nothing is there. Please remember keep it balanced. I put two extra supports on my carrier. Three points of support make it very stable. We've taken it on a 500-mile round trip ride on the back of the RV. It turned out very well.
Enjoy!

·
Registered
146 Posts
You have to be careful around the airport "Hi Jack" welcome I am also a senior at 81 and riding my 250 Rebel every day, currently the riding season is starting to close and my machine is hanging up on my try pod and chain hoist doing some minor engine work. I was away from riding for a while as I had a spill on a trail and broke my ankle, it is all healed now and I am back riding again. I also rode a variety of British Bikes when I was younger Matchless, AJS, BSA and a variety of smaller bikes. It took a while to get back in the comfort zone but once there all is ok again.

·
Super Moderator
7,895 Posts
Welcome to forum n enjoy your ride

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome to the forum Jack
We do what we can to help others around here
Hi SK,
thank you for the welcome. You were one of the forum topics that I recall ready. I have a question about replacement gas tank and I see that you have done this many years ago. I have ordered one from motopart-mall and it comes with a vent. I was looking at ordering the Casswell sealer kit that you recommended and it has an option of color. The tank I've ordered is black. What in your opinion would be the best color or clear? To me it doesn't really matter, just curious to what you think.
Thanks,
Jack

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome to the forum. Lots of helpful folks here. since it's been a while since you've ridden, you might want to enroll in a basic rider course. Every state offers them.
Thank you flitecontrol. Yes I'm looking into a rider course, just want to get a few miles under my belt first.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welcome Jack. I just recently installed carrier on the back of my RV. It carries the rebel like nothing is there. Please remember keep it balanced. I put two extra supports on my carrier. Three points of support make it very stable. We've taken it on a 500-mile round trip ride on the back of the RV. It turned out very well.
Enjoy!
Thanks Emil for your encouragement. I've ordered a Rage Powersport SMC-600R carrier. I'd be interested in seeing your modifications. Do you have any pics.
Thanks,
Jack

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Welcome Jack, you are an inspiration to us all.
Thank you Yaatri, I'll let you know down the road if I think I deserve that compliment. I've just been contacted by a fellow Rebel rider and he's 81 so he'll be my ispiration.
Jack

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You have to be careful around the airport "Hi Jack" welcome I am also a senior at 81 and riding my 250 Rebel every day, currently the riding season is starting to close and my machine is hanging up on my try pod and chain hoist doing some minor engine work. I was away from riding for a while as I had a spill on a trail and broke my ankle, it is all healed now and I am back riding again. I also rode a variety of British Bikes when I was younger Matchless, AJS, BSA and a variety of smaller bikes. It took a while to get back in the comfort zone but once there all is ok again.
Hi DNM, It's ok nobody "Hi Jacks" planes anymore, security is too stringent after 9/11.. I only had the one bike 60+ yrs ago and had several spills including 2 that could have been lights out. I hope I'm a lot more wiser and patient than back then. I do have a lot of driving experience without accidents. Now that I'm back in the saddle I'm acutely aware of how vulnerable one is compared to sitting in a car. I haven't done many miles so I'm still in the "feeling things out" stage. I realize in America car drivers are not too aware of motorcyclists.
Cheers,
Jack

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Welcome to forum n enjoy your ride
Hi Wjmrty, Thanks for the encouragement, lets hope I live up to it. On my first trip to Auz in 2018 I was in your city for a few days visiting a friend, enjoyed every minute of my stay.
Cheers,
Jack

·
Registered
2002 Honda rebel 250
29 Posts
Enjoy!
Hey Emil, where did you buy your carrier? I was looking at the one at harbour freight, any good?

·
Registered
2002 Honda rebel 250
29 Posts
Hi DNM, It's ok nobody "Hi Jacks" planes anymore, security is too stringent after 9/11.. I only had the one bike 60+ yrs ago and had several spills including 2 that could have been lights out. I hope I'm a lot more wiser and patient than back then. I do have a lot of driving experience without accidents. Now that I'm back in the saddle I'm acutely aware of how vulnerable one is compared to sitting in a car. I haven't done many miles so I'm still in the "feeling things out" stage. I realize in America car drivers are not too aware of motorcyclists.
Cheers,
Jack
Hey Jack, I'm 67 and also rode way,, back when. Got my rebel a few months back. I realized it's not like the old days, just put on the helmet and go. Before I rode it I got fully armoured. Jacket, pants, gloves, and boots. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey Jack, I'm 67 and also rode way,, back when. Got my rebel a few months back. I realized it's not like the old days, just put on the helmet and go. Before I rode it I got fully armoured. Jacket, pants, gloves, and boots. Just a suggestion.
Hi Ricky, you're almost young enough to be my son. Yes, it's not like the old days. I've got a good helmet (LS2), jacket , gloves and boots. Trouble is it's been too hot to wear some of the gear. I'm not keen on the boots as there's no feel on the gearshift. Next summer I'll have to look for a different helmet as it gets pretty hot under the shell. I saw your previous post about the Harbor Freight carrier, somewhere I saw some bad reviews plus if I remember correctly the ramp is only 48".
Cheers,
Jack

·
Premium Member
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
1,026 Posts
The carrier that I bought on the internet only had a 3-foot ramp. I built a 6 1/2 foot ramp for it. In some situations I still use the three footer. That is when I level the RV and I have to raise the front end significantly, then the back end is only a foot off the ground. 😁

·
Registered
2002 Honda rebel 250
29 Posts
Hi Ricky, you're almost young enough to be my son. Yes, it's not like the old days. I've got a good helmet (LS2), jacket , gloves and boots. Trouble is it's been too hot to wear some of the gear. I'm not keen on the boots as there's no feel on the gearshift. Next summer I'll have to look for a different helmet as it gets pretty hot under the shell. I saw your previous post about the Harbor Freight carrier, somewhere I saw some bad reviews plus if I remember correctly the ramp is only 48".
Cheers,
Jack
Hi Jack, you might look into pants also. I found some denim ones, they have kevlar and removable knee pads. No hip pads tho. The knee pads feel uncomfortable, but once you sit on the bike you don't notice them. As far as boots - yeah I don't like them either, but I know a nurse who works ER and told me horror stories about motorcycle accidents and what happened to their feet with sneakers. Makes me keep my boots on! Oh well, enough preaching.
Have fun, ride safe.
PS- I got the denim ones so I don't look like a motocross guy!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts