Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my name is Elizabeth. I'm new here. I just bought a Honda rebel 250 and l love the bike. I've rode bikes in my younger years but never a nice bike like this one. I want to know how do I oil my chain and what kind of oil do I use.

·
Super Moderator
29,654 Posts
Welcome, Elizabeth. Chain technology and lubrication has come a long way since we used to oil our standard chains. The Rebel comes from the factory with an O-ring chain, and I recommend when yours needs replacement, you do so with an O or X ring chain. IMO, the best chain lubes are in the dry wax category, and there are several good ones. The dry wax doesn't attract grit like a true oil does, extending chain life. I regularly get over 20,000 miles from a good quality O or X-ring chain, cleaning and lubricating it every 500 miles. This is the lube I use. Not necessarily the best or worst, just what I use. Liquid Performance Chain Lube Cobra 50 50cc DRR Apex KTM KX Polini ECX CX Honda | eBay

And here are many more: Amazon.com : liquid performance chain lube

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
Welcome to the forum. \
Lots of good people here that will will help with any questions you might have about your 250.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome, Elizabeth. Chain technology and lubrication has come a long way since we used to oil our standard chains. The Rebel comes from the factory with an O-ring chain, and I recommend when yours needs replacement, you do so with an O or X ring chain. IMO, the best chain lubes are in the dry wax category, and there are several good ones. The dry wax doesn't attract grit like a true oil does, extending chain life. I regularly get over 20,000 miles from a good quality O or X-ring chain, cleaning and lubricating it every 500 miles. This is the lube I use. Not necessarily the best or worst, just what I use. Liquid Performance Chain Lube Cobra 50 50cc DRR Apex KTM KX Polini ECX CX Honda | eBay

And here are many more: Amazon.com : liquid performance chain lube
Thank you for the help

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok now that I know about what oil to use for my chain' I haven a problem that I don’t understand . When I bought my 2007 Honda rebel she ran good I bought it last Sunday and had no problems. The funny thing now is today on my way home from the store my Honda rebel just died out of no where. So I pulled off the road and tried to start her up but no luck so I sat there for ten to fifteen minutes then I tried starting it again finally I was able to get down the road then she dies at the stop light and so I had to push it home can someone please help me and give me advise on how or what I need to do to fix this problem because I want to enjoy riding it before winter comes thank you.

·
Super Moderator
29,654 Posts
Basics questions first, and not meant to embarrass you. Is there plenty of gas in the tank? When you got it going again, did it run normally? Was the trip to and from the store the longest you have made? Some owners replace the stock, vented, OEM tank with a larger capacity, unvented Chinese tank from ebay. If this happens again, loosen the gas cap and set it over the hole (note, don't do this if there is so much gas in the tank it will slosh out). You'll need to carry a spare key for the ignition as the key in the cap won't come out without a lot of manipulation. If the bike starts and runs well, with the cap loose, you may have an unvented tank. If you could post a picture of your tank, that would be helpful. If you have an unvented tank, you will need to drill a small hole in the gas cap, but won't get into that unless necessary.

If it isn't a fuel issue, it's probably electrical, and I'll let the electronic wizards advise you. Electronics are like black magic to me.

·
Super Moderator
7,834 Posts
Welcome to forum n enjoy your ride

·
Registered
387 Posts
7milesout with his typical SWAG. I bet the fuel filter done be getting clogged up. I can't remember Ed Zachery (chime in flite), but I think the filter is at the petcock. But I'm going to guess that your sickle wasn't rode much just prior to your ownership. Now you're running it good, stirring the pot, and sending debris to the filter. Seems kind of like that to me.

In my thinking, there could be enough blockage to not fill the bowl up adequately when in high demand (when riding). When you let off the gas and squeeze the clutch lever, off goes the engine due to lack of fuel. After sitting for awhile, enough fuel seeps past the clogged-ish filter / petcock to put a decent or substantial amount of fuel in the float bowl that it runs for a while before it starts crapping out again.

A similar scenario. When I think I may not Rebel it for a while, when I turn in my neighborhood, I reach down and turn the petcock to off. Finish riding home. It's got to be maybe 0.3 miles to my house from there. It runs well during that 0.3 miles. Sometimes it may start to sputter before I get to my driveway. If not, I take a loop on the cul-de-sac immediately adjacent to my driveway and the sputtering begins. If I squeeze the clutch while sputtering, off goes the engine.

My guess is, you're having a similar situation, but just with crud instead of a valve.

P.S. - Congrats on jumping back on a motorsickle!

7milesout

·
Registered
387 Posts
Elizabeth s. - As far as chain lube, if you've not chosen already, I chose this. $7 on Amazon and really great stuff. Arguably the best.

·
Super Moderator
29,654 Posts
7milesout with his typical SWAG. I bet the fuel filter done be getting clogged up. I can't remember Ed Zachery (chime in flite), but I think the filter is at the petcock. But I'm going to guess that your sickle wasn't rode much just prior to your ownership. Now you're running it good, stirring the pot, and sending debris to the filter. Seems kind of like that to me.

In my thinking, there could be enough blockage to not fill the bowl up adequately when in high demand (when riding). When you let off the gas and squeeze the clutch lever, off goes the engine due to lack of fuel. After sitting for awhile, enough fuel seeps past the clogged-ish filter / petcock to put a decent or substantial amount of fuel in the float bowl that it runs for a while before it starts crapping out again.

A similar scenario. When I think I may not Rebel it for a while, when I turn in my neighborhood, I reach down and turn the petcock to off. Finish riding home. It's got to be maybe 0.3 miles to my house from there. It runs well during that 0.3 miles. Sometimes it may start to sputter before I get to my driveway. If not, I take a loop on the cul-de-sac immediately adjacent to my driveway and the sputtering begins. If I squeeze the clutch while sputtering, off goes the engine.

My guess is, you're having a similar situation, but just with crud instead of a valve.

P.S. - Congrats on jumping back on a motorsickle!

7milesout
There's a fine mesh screen/filter at the top of the petcock, inside the tank. That can allow some stuff big enough to clog the carb, or come off inside the tank, or get clogged. If it is clogged, the petcock has to come out of the tank (drain gas first) to clean it. If it is clogged, more than likely it would be from rust in the tank and the tank should be cleaned. An in-line fuel filter, installed between the petcock and carb, helps ensure that contaminants don't reach the carb. There's a how-to video on installing one stickied in the Wrenching section of the forum

1 - 10 of 10 Posts