Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought EBC FA069 brakepad for rebel 450. But with both brand new pads, the caliper wont mount!

Do you change both pads together or just one at a time? Seems to me that I am doing something wrong

·
Premium Member
17,769 Posts
You change both at the same time always!.Did you compress the caliper before installing the new pads?

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You change both at the same time always!.Did you compress the caliper before installing the new pads?

you mean pistons? if yes, then I did.

·
Premium Member
17,769 Posts
Yep, the pistons must be fully retracted.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
If the above suggestions don't work, you can always drain the brake fluid. Then push the pads apart, install and then add fresh fluid. (Should be done every year or so anyways.....)

Had to do that on one of the Guzzis.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I actually did a caliper rebuild, which is why it might be tought to get it in. pistons are fully embedded inside their cylinders and totally aligned with surface. with those both new brakepads there was 1/4 inch interference between mounting bolt and mounting bolt hole.

BTW are you guys able to remove both the caliper pin bolt and mounting bolt from calipers? I could only get the mounting bolt out.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Unfortunately I dont have a measuring caliper, but its FA 69 padset from EBC.

·
Registered
785 Posts
EBC is a very good aftermarket brand. If you got the correct pads I doubt the thikckness is off. Again, like mentioned above, by other members, make sure the caliper pistons are compressed all the way in.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
got it done by bikeshop. Charged me 46 dollars and fitted brake pads. I think it was fair price since changing those pads is extremely dirty and bad on hands

·
Registered
VTX 1800, Rebel 250's and 450's, CB1300
459 Posts
It is a very old topic, but for sure any 450 caliper needs to be taken apart and cleaned out properly. Whether the pistons or sliding pins, there will always be something stuck which will lead to the above-noted problems.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts