Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought an 01 Rebel 250 and the clutch went out on it. I replaced the clutch but now when I put it into gear it violently shuts off. This is my first bike and I really don't know what it is I might've done wrong. I tried adjusting the cable, both up top on the handle and down by the clutch itself, but all that seems to do is make the handle easy or hard to squeeze. I'm really stuck right now, any ideas as to what I could do?

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a little loose i can move it with my hand, but not the full range of motion as when I press in the clutch handle

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
There should be about 1/2 inch of free travel in the clutch lever before any resistance is felt.

When you say the bike violently shuts off, are you referring to the bike jerks and tries to lunge forward? or the engine just stops running? in either case make sure the kick stand is up.

·
Registered
286 Posts
OK, then you're close, if the lever on the crankcase moves just a little. Adjust the handlebar lever as mentioned, no more than 1/2 inch of free movement, before it starts to move the crankcase lever.
If that doesn't do it, I suspect something is not assembled right inside the clutch assembly. Might be time to disassemble and do it again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello everyone:

I have a similar problem.

My Rebel was on the garage for 2 months as I recovered from injury, but now she doesn't roll with the clutch pressed. Neutral is no problem, but on any gear she refuses to roll with the clutch all the way in. Tried adjusting the clutch without any results. If I go from Neutral to 1st gear it stops because clutch isn't engaging/disengaging (not sure which is which).Are my plates stuck? Do I have to drain the oil and take it apart? Any help appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
7,796 Posts
Some times if you go for a ride and get oil hot they will free up and work properly. I had a Virago years ago that used to do the same thing if I left it for a few months

·
Registered
27 Posts
When you say the bike violently shuts off, are you referring to the bike jerks and tries to lunge forward? or the engine just stops running?
Could you help me with a similar problem? I changed the clutch, bu when I start it up in neutral it stays on, but when I put it in gear it jerks and tries to lounge forward, then turns off. :frown2:

·
Registered
13,265 Posts
Could you help me with a similar problem? I changed the clutch, bu when I start it up in neutral it stays on, but when I put it in gear it jerks and tries to lounge forward, then turns off. :frown2:
If the clutch does not disengage when the lever is fully pulled in to the handlebar, then it is most likely assembled incorrectly. You'll have to remove the right side cover to inspect the clutch and determine why it is not releasing.

Reactions: kryton

·
Registered
27 Posts

·
Registered
13,265 Posts
I suspect your issue is incorrect assembly of the clutch. It is apparently not releasing at all. Remove the springs and check that the pressure plate is then loose. When you put the sidecover on, verify the clutch lever has some slack in it before it becomes tight.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Does the clutch lever pull way too easy or did it seem like you had to fight to get the springs on?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts