Honda Rebel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of November's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all! I'm new here, new to the Rebel, but not to motorcycling. After a few years with a GL500i, I found myself unable to continue fixing the many problems the P.O. left for me. The bike served its purpose well, but it needed a complete overhaul/rebuild soon, and it's just too far beyond my skill and resources.

Recently, I came across a listing for a 1999 CMX250 at a local dealer. When I got there to check it out, they actually have two Rebels - the 250 they had listed, and what is probably a 450, both from the same P.O.
Dealer wants $2000 for the 250, and while he hadn't managed to look the '450' over yet, he estimated ~$3000. I can afford one or the other, but not both.
The 250 has 5.5k miles on it, and the '450' has over 50k.
I commute about 60-100 miles both ways on everything from dirt to national highway, primarily the latter.

Here's my current thinking - 450 is more powerful but much rarer, making it harder to find parts. 250 is more fuel efficient, easier to find parts for, but lacks a bit of power. I"m leaning heavily towards the 250 for maintenance reasons, but I wanted to consult the collective experience of this forum before dropping multiple thousands of dollars.

So... any sage advice? Anything else I should take into account before buying?

Thanks in advance,
Sam

·
Premium Member
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
2,113 Posts
Welcome to The Forum and welcome to Rebel riding.
I agree with your thoughts on the 450 being very rare. But if the 450 is in very good condition, $3,000 is not a bad price.
The 250 does get a whole lot better gas mileage. Averaging between 65 and 100 miles per gallon depending on where you're driving and who's riding the bike. The 450 gets about 100 miles per tank full from what I gleaned. The power on the 450 is wonderful. I use my 250 on the highway all the time, riding 2 up. But mine is first generation & has a little bit more power than second generation which is what that bike is. ~16hp for the 250 (2nd Gen) , & 38 hp (if memory serves) on the 450.
In either case, I really recommend getting a parts bike. It saves lots of money (if you have room for it), in the long run. I just saw a 250 parts bike today on FB for $100. Less than the cost of a single wheel on EB.
Just wanted to add, I have over 48,000 miles on my 1st generation Rebel 250, & it's still going strong!

·
Premium Member
2003 rebel 2004 sportster
196 Posts
It would be great if you could try both bikes before deciding…they are both great bikes :)

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,737 Posts
I'd expect a dealer to install new tires, lube and adjust chain, rebuild disk brakes to get the mud out that has settled in bottom of caliper (just flushing doesn't do the job), change oil and 450 filter, lube cables, remove rust from gas tank, I'd insist on installation of inline fuel filter..

Reactions: Yaatri
1 - 4 of 4 Posts