Honda Rebel Forum banner

101 - 115 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
National Cycle's Streetshield EX. Corbin Saddle. Tourmaster Saddlebags.
774 Posts
I joined this forum in 2011 when I first purchased my '06 Rebel 250. This thread really had my juices going. Stayed active on the forum for about 3 or 4 years and then quit riding............so stopped participating on the forum. Decided to start riding again about a month ago and so came back..............only to find this thread STILL somewhat active. It's fun to watch average Joe's, just like myself, who aren't engineers who "think" they are. ;) (not trying to start an argument, just stating an opinion) I've added 9 years worth of notches on my headboard and have re-read this entire thread from a new perspective. I got out on the highway last week and my bike will easily do 70+mph............which is plenty fast for my 75 year old 185 pound carcass. This little bike is right perky in town and no-one has to hold back on the throttle leaving a stoplight when they are behind me. I can't imagine any justifiable reason to ask more than this bike was expertly designed for. If I ever want a dragster or a "real" highway machine and have the funds, those bikes are certainly available out there. I'm glad the years have mellowed me to a point I can appreciate this little runabout for exactly what it is. Honda Rebel 250.............sweet bike. No need asking it to be what it isn't. :)

·
Registered
6,120 Posts
Chris C I completely agree with you. But having added a 30T to another bike I can compare the gas mileage stats. Today it just makes sense to keep the original sprocket. Back when gas prices made me start riding again, a 30T more than paid for itself in extra mileage gained.

·
Registered
6,578 Posts
I joined this forum in 2011 when I first purchased my '06 Rebel 250. This thread really had my juices going. Stayed active on the forum for about 3 or 4 years and then quit riding............so stopped participating on the forum. Decided to start riding again about a month ago and so came back..............only to find this thread STILL somewhat active. It's fun to watch average Joe's, just like myself, who aren't engineers who "think" they are. ;) (not trying to start an argument, just stating an opinion) I've added 9 years worth of notches on my headboard and have re-read this entire thread from a new perspective. I got out on the highway last week and my bike will easily do 70+mph............which is plenty fast for my 75 year old 185 pound carcass. This little bike is right perky in town and no-one has to hold back on the throttle leaving a stoplight when they are behind me. I can't imagine any justifiable reason to ask more than this bike was expertly designed for. If I ever want a dragster or a "real" highway machine and have the funds, those bikes are certainly available out there. I'm glad the years have mellowed me to a point I can appreciate this little runabout for exactly what it is. Honda Rebel 250.............sweet bike. No need asking it to be what it isn't. :)

I started following this forum when I first got my Rebel. It wasn't the first bike I'd ever ridden, but the first I'd owned. I see new riders going through the same learning process we all do. It's always interesting to see a new answer to a question we have all addressed. I am sometimes amused by the whole "Bobber " process. Most of us start out thinking that we have a few really cool ideas that haven't been thought of before. The truth is, The Rebel comes from the factory already "Bobbed". It is as light as it could possibly be without sacrificing in performance or safety. I don't mean to discourage anyone from customizing their bike as they see fit, but keep in mind that things like cone filters and "hardtailing" have their costs. The 15T sprocket was one of the first things I did. I proved to myself that the stock configuration can't be all things to all people, but it is the best compromise. I'm on the heavy side for a small bike. While the 15 made riding through traffic easier because I wouldn't override 1st and 2nd gears so often, I could no longer hit top speed unless I was riding down hill and down wind. Almost like Honda engineers had already addressed this. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2 rebels: one 250, a comboi of junked 1st gen & wrecked 2nd gen. and a 450 I havent touched yet
5 Posts
Chris C I completely agree with you. But having added a 30T to another bike I can compare the gas mileage stats. Today it just makes sense to keep the original sprocket. Back when gas prices made me start riding again, a 30T more than paid for itself in extra mileage gained.
Im gonna have to try out a 30T - there's so much raving over it on this site, and since I have to order a new sprocket anyway I'll give it a shot (I changed the rear tire a week ago, mindlessly mixing up the spacing collars. looked back yesterday and thought something looked funny. got em both on the correct sides with no damage to chain or front sprocket, but slight visible damage to the 33T rear - the beginnings of the teeth curving.)

·
Super Moderator
7,847 Posts
I have a 30 teeth rear sprocket and find it great 100klm crusing engine is much quieter

Reactions: ratrebel

·
Registered
2005 CMX250
62 Posts
30T rear sprocket worked out well for me. No more "granny low" 1st gear and reduced revs/vibes.

·
Registered
2 rebels: one 250, a comboi of junked 1st gen & wrecked 2nd gen. and a 450 I havent touched yet
5 Posts
and the same chain from the 14/33 stock setup is fine for both of you? (pretty sure its 108 link)

·
Super Moderator
30,025 Posts
I did this mod once. When the sprockets and chain wore out, I went back to 33T. Here are the pros and cons of the 30 tooth rear sprocket as I see them.

Pro: Higher gearing reduces revs and engine noise somewhat, but I'd like to see a before and after decibel measurement before I'm convinced there is a really big difference in the two. I rely on the ear decibel meter about as much as I do the butt dynamometer.

Cons: The bike loses more torque on inclines and the top end was reduced 5-7 mph. If you mainly ride around town and on level roads, this isn't that important.

I didn't see a significant change in fuel economy between the two.

Reactions: Bobarama

·
Registered
5 Posts
30T rear sprocket worked out well for me. No more "granny low" 1st gear and reduced revs/vibes.
Granny Low? what does that mean? Mine jumps forward at the slightest turn of the throttle.....you really gotta ease out the clutch slowly if you don't plan to whine out every gear. Like in a parking lot or flippin it around - otherwise, I do, and I'm in 5th way too early, and as I continue to push to the top end, I will mindlessly shift up to, well, 5th again. and again. lol. Sound familiar? a 6-speed trans would be nice - but the 30T will what? have you whine out the gears longer? does it take longer to get to top end?

·
Super Moderator
4,025 Posts
I would expect a minute increase in fuel economy based on the loss of top end speed and reduction in wind friction. Just kidding, I didn't notice a difference in mpg with a lower ratio. The engine is doing the same amount of work. My driving was mostly around town with some 40-50 mph sections. It made riding a little more pleasant at lower speeds. My bike is currently back to stock sprockets.

·
Super Moderator
4,025 Posts
Granny Low? what does that mean? Mine jumps forward at the slightest turn of the throttle.....you really gotta ease out the clutch slowly if you don't plan to whine out every gear. Like in a parking lot or flippin it around - otherwise, I do, and I'm in 5th way too early, and as I continue to push to the top end, I will mindlessly shift up to, well, 5th again. and again. lol. Sound familiar? a 6-speed trans would be nice - but the 30T will what? have you whine out the gears longer? does it take longer to get to top end?
check out this website

Reactions: ratrebel

·
Registered
230 Posts
I ride 15/29 and 15/27

Works great, and if I tend to lose speed, I shift down. Simple as that.

·
Super Moderator
30,025 Posts
Is that gearing on a 250 or 450? And what if you want to wind it out? The 250 doesn't have the power to make potential top speed with those combinations. Not sure about the 450, but I trust Honda's engineers got it right.

101 - 115 of 115 Posts