Honda Rebel Forum banner

81 - 100 of 115 Posts

·
Super Moderator
30,024 Posts
It didn't on mine. In over 20,000 miles with the 30 tooth sprocket, the 108 link chain never exceeded the ability of the adjusters to take up the slack.

·
Registered
3 Posts
When I go to the JT Sprockets website, I find a JTR273.30 which is supposed to be for the Rebel, but it doesn't have the what looks like a sheet metal covering on it with holes in it to get to the sprocket attachment bolts which is on the bike now. Does that sheet metal piece come off the old sprocket and go on the new?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I encountered the same problem by switching to 15/30. Max speed is 65mph in perfect conditions (flat, no wind), against wind is 55mph and most of the time had to drop into 4th gear to keep 55mph. I wish I had done 15/32 or 14/29. Don't have the time to make changes now.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I run all stock: sprockets/exhaust/intake/etc. I got waved in to a group coming home sunday and found I can maintain 75 with no problem, pleasant surprise to me (well speedo said 75...). On the uphill bits I'm at the end of the cable - WOT - to keep up with the group, but on the flats they ran 75 as traffic allowed and I still had a little left at the top to catch up when a slinky effect or group lane change called for it, getting the needle into the middle of that last 5...

Reactions: 01-7700

·
Registered
13,264 Posts
Supposedly to keep the chain from wrapping up on the axle.
If so, it speaks volumes about how little intelligence Honda attributes to Rebel owners in being so negligent in allowing a chain to become so worn and slack as to actually come off the sprocket. It's noteworthy that no other motorcycle with a chain drive (that I'm aware of) has such a device on the rear sprocket.

·
Super Moderator
30,024 Posts
I went with a 30 tooth rear sprocket when I changed chains and sprockets. When that set wore out, I went back to stock. Frankly, I couldn't tell much difference, if any.

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
Go back to stock and your bike will run better. Reinventing the wheel is not always the best plan, especially if you do not have the knowledge to know what makes a good wheel.

·
Premium Member
11,902 Posts
If so, it speaks volumes about how little intelligence Honda attributes to Rebel owners in being so negligent in allowing a chain to become so worn and slack as to actually come off the sprocket. It's noteworthy that no other motorcycle with a chain drive (that I'm aware of) has such a device on the rear sprocket.
I'm no engineer but if a chain is loose enough to slip off the teeth then it's loose enough to slip off that smaller diameter outer piece and get wrapped up in the axle.

According to parts fiche sites it's part of the OEM sprocket/sold as one piece.

·
Registered
13,264 Posts
I'm no engineer but if a chain is loose enough to slip off the teeth then it's loose enough to slip off that smaller diameter outer piece and get wrapped up in the axle.

According to parts fiche sites it's part of the OEM sprocket/sold as one piece.
It serves no useful purpose I can see. Once a chain is off the sprocket teeth, really bad things are going to start happening quickly. I'd also be worried about the top run bunching up at the front sprocket and breaking the crankcase, crankshaft, transmission etc. The point is, it's essential to maintain that chain so it will never come off or break, and experienced riders do just that.

·
Premium Member
11,902 Posts
Yep, that's one of the things I have to do to the Rebel now that I got the Shadow back. After 8-9 months of riding the chain wore out...having heard it clattering against the chain guard I tightened it last week and within a day or two it was clattering again.

Suffice it to say I ordered a new set of chain & sprockets when I picked up the Shadow and will be going to pick those up soon enough. ;)

·
Super Moderator
30,024 Posts
Never heard of anyone going to that high a gearing. Believe the largest front sprocket that will fit is a 15 tooth. But hey, you might be able to find a 25 tooth rear. :angel::nonono::rolleyes:

·
Registered
230 Posts
I just order blanks and machine them myself.

16T does fit, but it has to eat its way to freedom. Just a bit. Didn't make me nervous.

·
Super Moderator
30,024 Posts
I just order blanks and machine them myself.

16T does fit, but it has to eat its way to freedom. Just a bit. Didn't make me nervous.
Is yours a 250 or 450?

81 - 100 of 115 Posts