Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a new 30T rear sprocket for $20 down at the honda dealership and it's turned this rebel into a completely different bike. If you spend a fair amount of time around 45-70mph I highly recommend doing this!

·
Registered
1 Posts
What year and engine size was this done with? I called my local Honda dealer and they came up with nothing... any ideas where I could get a sprocket for a 1987 250?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,391 Posts
I had the sproket to put on the wifes bike, but never did before i sold the bike. I think it would have gotten the bike close to the 100mph mark, but even still a rebel at 93 mph was pretty good.

I bought the sproket I had on ebay for $24 including shipping.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DAROYAL said:
What year and engine size was this done with? I called my local Honda dealer and they came up with nothing... any ideas where I could get a sprocket for a 1987 250?

Thanks
It was for a 2006 250. I think it was about $25 at the dealer. I took it on a 200 mile road trip at 75mph when it was about 95 degrees outside with no problems. It struggles on the steeper hills but not too bad at all.

·
Registered
25 Posts
honda part#

the 30t sprocket looks good the honda dealer,s aroud here dont have any thing listed if some one could post the honda part # it would be a big help tthanx in advance dave

·
Registered
62 Posts
There won't be a Honda part number.
You need to go to a sprocket manufacturer's site like www.jtsprockets.com and check their online catalog. Then buy it from someplace like www.denniskirk.com.
For my 2004 the part number is jtr27930. However I would recommend going only to 31 teeth jtr27931.

p.s. The Honda catalog will only call out the 33 tooth for our Rebels, but the JTR site lists the 30 tooth as stock for the CMX250LA, and the 31 tooth for CMX250C-T, C-V, W and X so you might try asking for those models at the Honda dealer. But it will be quicker and probably cheaper online.

·
Registered
9 Posts
lildave said:
no it wont alter the speedo only changing the front tire will do that as the speedo is driven off the front hub
Cool, thanks for the info. Still finding out things about these here bikes. I was just used to a car, driven off the tranny.

Kyle

·
Registered
14 Posts
31 tooth sprocket

I was considering going down to a 30 tooth sprocket, but I figured that wouldn't move this fat butt of mine, so I looked for a 31 or 32 tooth sprocket # JTR27931 or 32.
I contacted JT Sprockets looking for the 31 tooth, and was told that this sprocket was not available in the states, only England. I don't know why, but I moved on. I did order a 32 tooth and I'm waiting for that to come in.
Does anyone know where to get a 31 tooth sprocket? I check JT Sprockets and Dennis Kirk with now success. I guess the guy at JT was correct. He did say that he could get me the 31 tooth for about $50 with shipping, but the wait would be long.
So, I'll go with the 32 and see how it works.

·
Registered
7 Posts
All this talk about sprocket changes...Im here to clear up the confusion. The Rebel comes stock with 33 tooth rear sprocket, true. The factory 33 tooth sprocket causes the bike to accelerate much to quickly, and if you have trimmed pipes like mine, almost to the point of becoming deaf. Now, I went down to a 30 tooth to test exactly how and what kind of difference the change would make, and this is what I found. The claim that the 30 tooth causes the bike to accelerate faster is obviously false, that was the main problem in the first place.....the 30 tooth causes the rebel to accelerate slower, which fixes the problem of reaching 5th gear in 2 seconds. This part is good (except I kind of like blowing harleys off the line, for a second anyway). Now, the question of top speed, on my 33 tooth sprocket, I obtained top speed quicker, making it seem like I was going faster, but, with the 30 tooth...I obtained top speed slower, making it seem slower...but with the measurment of my buddies car behind me I found that my 30 tooth (plus an open velocity stack on the carb and many of the factory parts removed or otherwise trimmed) topped out at about 90mph, much slower acceleration mind you. So you must ask yourself, do you want to go faster slower or go slower faster.....an questions just shoot! Oh and the guy who said he topped 90mph with the stock air filter....I dont believe it at all.

·
Banned
662 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
I made the change to a 15t front sprocket and although the acceleration did drop off, giving those Harley's a fair chance, I find that first gear gets me more that the six or eight feet that it did before the swap and the bike is much smoother on the highway. In all the Rebel feels more refined and doesn't vibrate as bad at high speeds. The change also makes fourth gear an option, downshifting with the stock setup made the motor sound like it would grenade it's self.
I do miss the snap off the line and the ability to crawl along in slow traffic but the trade off was worth it. I still wish Honda would have equipped the Rebel with a six speed but....

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Rebel version of PINKS! I love it...:p

·
Banned
662 Posts
31t Rear Sprocket.

I was considering going down to a 30 tooth sprocket, but I figured that wouldn't move this fat butt of mine, so I looked for a 31 or 32 tooth sprocket # JTR27931 or 32.
I contacted JT Sprockets looking for the 31 tooth, and was told that this sprocket was not available in the states, only England. I don't know why, but I moved on. I did order a 32 tooth and I'm waiting for that to come in.
Does anyone know where to get a 31 tooth sprocket? I check JT Sprockets and Dennis Kirk with now success. I guess the guy at JT was correct. He did say that he could get me the 31 tooth for about $50 with shipping, but the wait would be long.
So, I'll go with the 32 and see how it works.
Contact Rebel Gears. They can provide you with a 31t aluminum rear sprocket.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Then why not do the 15 front one. It'd be like 31 1/2 rear. lol

·
Premium Member
17,771 Posts
Then why not do the 15 front one. It'd be like 31 1/2 rear. lol

Beat me to it!
The 15 tooth front and 33 rear is very close in ratio to the 14/ 31.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Riding home from work tonight I down shifted to third gear and ran it up to 55 MPH on the speedo and she was still pulling as smooth as silk. I have the 15 tooth. This thread is what made me wind it out in third, just to see how smooth it would be and it sounded like it wants to be there at 55 in third, but of course I shifted back into fifth.

On a side note, I am thinking about taking a 500 Mile run to Central Florida for thanksgiving. Maybe even go to Disney World for a day.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts