Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in college to become a Harley tech. Haven't gotten into the rebuilds yet. I have a 1985 honda rebel 250 I purchased tonight drove it almost home and it ran good at 70 for 80 miles now I have no power to pull myself but starts right away and revs up in neutral but cant take a load. Anyway this was supposed to save me gas going 80 miles one way everyday to school but I need to figure out where to start

·
Super Moderator
29,298 Posts
Welcome to the forum. There should be 3/8" to 3/4" of free play at the end of the clutch lever before resistance is felt. If not, adjust the cable. If it accelerates well in the lower gears, but begins to lose power in 4th and fifth, the clutch could be slipping.

·
Super Moderator
3,651 Posts
i'm also on the old gas bus - maybe dirt from the tank got sucked into the carb

clean tank and carb - get an inline filter

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
petcock has a settlement bowl.. turn off fuel, unscrew bowl
betcha it's full of rust... if it is your carb is too

·
Registered
359 Posts
petcock has a settlement bowl.. turn off fuel, unscrew bowl
betcha it's full of rust... if it is your carb is too
This sounds like the best place to start. Aren't you going to get the bejeezus aggravated out of you if you're trying to become a Harley tech showing up on a little Honda? :D

Reactions: 01-7700

·
Registered
227 Posts
This sounds like the best place to start. Aren't you going to get the bejeezus aggravated out of you if you're trying to become a Harley tech showing up on a little Honda? :D
Nah - - all the Harley techs ride Hondas. They know better. :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ty for all your guys help. I have purchased a new head and gasket set along with new pistons. I haven't found a book for torque specs yet and trying to figure out how to put 2 pistons in at the same time is going to be fun but getting ready to do a top end rebuild soon as I find a book. Also rebuilding carb and waiting on clutch to get started.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And just so you guys know I don't care what they think about me riding a honda my next bike will probably be a fury

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Google "Honda Rebel 250 Service manual" archive.org
second generation engine rebuild is the same as 85-87 first generation..

Couple of big hose clamps can be used to compress rings in a pinch..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok ty for your help with that. I will check it out now. And the hose clamps might be necessary as I don't have ring squeezer that small

1 - 12 of 12 Posts