Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I learned to ride in 2008 I purchased a new Shoei RF1000. It's never been dropped and it's always stored in it's bag in the garage. It also doesn't have a lot of wear time as I have only ridden about 3k miles in the last 10+ years (sad I know). That said and given the time it has been and I am wondering if I have to replace it. Not sure if the crash protection gets compromised by age? It's otherwise still a "new looking" helmet but of course I cannot tell what might have happened over time on the inside. From a padding point of view, it still fits me as well as it did on day 1. Nice tight and comfortable fit. Is it the case that every 5-7 years it has to be replaced regardless of usage (or more frequently if used daily perhaps)?

·
Super Moderator
29,654 Posts
Reactions: C6Silver

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for a very interesting article. I wish we could hear from a totally independent body rather than manufacturers, but I understand the points given which have to take into account everyone. For me the most interesting line was this: "The five-year rule applies to five years of use, not five years in existence.". That's a huge difference. I am not sure how to quantify that statement though. Are we saying that literally one year's worth of use, which equates to 8,760 hours of riding? That would mean 5-years would be nearly 44k hours with of riding. Certainly not comfortable with that notion. Given my 3k of riding over 11 years that would mean, if I apply an average of 50 mph (which is too high frankly) than I have been in helmet for about 60 hours. So my helmet would last many lifetimes. Don't think so. However, by "use" they may just mean when purchased versus when the helmet was just sitting in a warehouse, but that isn't helpful because someone could have used it for a few hours and someone else a few thousand over the same period of time after purchase. I guess in the end I have to take this statement as the guide: "when to replace your helmet is a judgment call on your part, and it has as much to do with the amount of wear and the level of serviceability of your helmet as it does with its age. "

·
Super Moderator
29,654 Posts
Yup. I wear a beanie to keep natural oil and dirt off the inside of the (full face) helmet, hopefully prolonging the life of the comfort foam. Oil from my cheeks still comes in contact with the fabric over the foam, but if it gets soiled, the liner can be removed and washed. I ride around 12,000 miles annually. My rule of thumb is replace the helmet when the comfort foam degrades to the point the helmet is no longer snug on my head. Or if I get into a crash where the helmet comes into contact with something solid. Fortunately, that hasn't happened.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Out of curiosity, given your yearly miles, how often do you find yourself replacing your helmet?

·
Super Moderator
29,654 Posts
I usually replace it every 6-7 years.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I've only replaced a helmet when I've found something better. Regular FF was replaced with a Nolan flip up, which was replaced with a better Caberg flip up, which was replaced with a Schuberth flip up. I've had that Schubert for 10+ years. I've replaced the interior 'comfort' foam twice and the face shield three times. I have since purchased a newer version of the same helmet, but I keep that one for long trips. The old Schuberth I wear for commuting. The Nolan and the Caberg were taken (individually) to Thailand, worn for two months and given away. Not sure where the Nolan ended up, but the Caberg is now a planter at Dr Greg Fraziers house in Chiang Mai.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts