Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this the other day, but got no response, gonna try a different heading...

I got the DCC retro chrome switch for my kill/starter button and need some help figuring out the wiring. here is the link to the switch I want to install:

Retro Chrome Ignition Handlebar Switch | Retro Motorcycle On Off Switch

the run/stop button has just 2 wires, so easy enough, where I get stuck is the starter push button. that has 4 wires to it, how do I make those 4 wires fit onto the starter button of the new switch? can I wire them together, and which one goes where? I've been pouring over a wiring diagram, but really need some direction before I start cutting things up.

hk

·
Premium Member
17,771 Posts
*Moved to Electrical, Charging and Battery*

Your original start button is two switches in one.
Its a momentary open switch for the headlight circuit and a momentary closed switch for the starter solenoid.
If you notice, your headlight goes off for starting.
If you choose to bypass that function, your headlight will stay on while cranking.
That puts a higher drain on your battery which will mean a longer time running to replace the charge will be needed and it could promote early battery replacement.
That said, here is how your original start button in wired. The color coding used on this drawing is correct, at least for a first generation Rebel

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,771 Posts
You don't mention the year of your Rebel.
I just looked and the second generation has a slightly different color code.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that diagram is a huge help. thank you. I have a wiring diagram so I will figure out the colors

so I am thinking that I will put a toggle switch for the headlight that will be off/low/hi, then turn it off for starting. so once I wire the headlight direct, I can just wire the starter with the two wires...correct?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
in wiring the headlight toggle, I would basically just eliminate the blue/white line, it would be red power, blue, and white for off/high/low ....a 3 position switch would work?

·
Premium Member
17,771 Posts
Yes, you can power from the red wire ('85 - 87) from the headlight fuse.
You still didn't mention the year of your Rebel, so if its a '96 or newer, the wire will be red with brown trace. The starter solenoid wire is yellow with red trace on the '96 and up.
You also need to check with state law. I don't know Hi. motor vehicle code but many staes require the headlight to be constant on with no switch to turn it off after a certain year of manufacture.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
okk, thank you! it is a 2003. I will put it in my signature right now to make it easier. i appreciate your help

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok so I got the wiring figured out, but it seems like when the push button is wired, there isn't enough juice to start the engine...too much resistance in the system? Bad button? It will start rightnupnwhen I use just the wires, no button....thoughts?

·
Premium Member
17,771 Posts
It may be the button is rated for enough amperage or a bad button.
Check to make sure your button doesn't ground to the bars when pressed. Do that with an Ohm meter with one probe to the bars and the other probe on one of the button wires. Check the other wire as well, you just have to do it one at a time.
If either is grounding when the button is pressed, that's the problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts