1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Moderator
29,308 Posts
Definitely not an electrical guru. Looking at the damaged coating and wire, don't think it would be useable as is. But you could get it rebuilt to OEM specs or better for $81 (shipping included) here: Tim Parrott rebuilding services He uses top quality materials and on the VN750 produces a rebuilt stator that outperforms the OEM Kawasaki stator.

It would be as good or better than a new stator for a fraction of the cost.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
I would pass on it. It's missing the coil at the 6 o'clock position.

·
Premium Member
17,771 Posts
I don't like the look of the burnt coils doesn't look too healthy.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would pass on it. It's missing the coil at the 6 o'clock position.

Actually it looks exactly like the one I'm working on. I'll bore ya with a quick story. "Stole" this 86/250 for $300 because owner said it needed a battery and a new stator. I ask her why she thought it needed a new stator, to which she replied "I'm not getting a spark to either plug". Her buddies recommended that she replace the cdi and reg/rec, which she did, still no spark. She took it to a "shop" which told her she needed a new stator and for $400, they would install one. :banghead: She bought a new bike instead. :lol2:

So, I pulled the stator off yesterday, it passes the electrical tests, ie continuity between all 3 yellow wires in every combination/no continuity to ground. Ignition pulse generator has a resistance of 95, perfectly in the 90/100 recommended range. I can find no physical/electrical reason for the stator to be "bad".

BUT, as I was quitting for the evening, I noticed the two handlebar control wire bundle harness grommets were pulled out from the junction box. OK, quick easy fix. When I removed the cover, lo and behold there is a green wire with a male plug laying unconnected in the box. Didn't have time to track it down last night, but I hope this is the issue causing her "no spark issue". Fingers crossed.

Attachments

·
Registered
493 Posts
yeah. I daresay that green wire being disconnected might have some bearing on the stator functionality...

;)

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, right now I am stumped! :banghead: I have tested every electrical component, tried 3 different CDI's, 3 different reg/rec's, I have everything electrical on the bike working, but still not getting a spark to either plug. Time to sit back and enjoy a cold adult beverage while I brainstorm the situation. :eek2:

·
Super Moderator
29,308 Posts
Is the kill switch on? ;) :lol2: :nonono: :angel: :flowers:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well, right now I am stumped! :banghead: I have tested every electrical component, tried 3 different CDI's, 3 different reg/rec's, I have everything electrical on the bike working, but still not getting a spark to either plug. Time to sit back and enjoy a cold adult beverage while I brainstorm the situation. :eek2:
I here ya getting discouraged

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
I think you found the problem with the green wire. It's green so we think ground, as to the frame. When I changed my crank seal the green wire had a lot of insulation stripped from it. Being a green wire, I didn't think it mattered that it grounded on the case. Boy was I wrong! The engine failed to start. After I tucked the stripped portion of the wire into the rubber grommet to keep it from grounding, my bike started right up! I think this may be your issue. I'm not holding my breath though, the wiring between first and second generation Rebels changed a lot. But I think some of the basics have stayed the same.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, as simple as the ignition system is on a rebel , I'm pretty much convinced that something that is suppose to be grounded isn't or something that isn't suppose to be grounded is. But whats nagging me is that stupid little gremlin sitting on my shoulder, whispering in my ear, "The SHOP said its a bad stator and yer just a dumb hillbilly, so all the testing in the world isn't gonna fix it, so put on yer big boy pants, suck it up and buy a new one". But its no longer about the "peso" factor, now its become a challenge to figure this out on my own. Gonna start over from square one on the trouble shooting chart tonight. :banghead:

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
YAY!! The mystery is solved!! :D My first mistake was using the Clymer manual the PO gave me to conduct my ignition system tests. Although nicely detailed, it conveniently neglected to discuss testing of the "exciter coil" as part of the stator testing (remember those three yellow wires I tested, they were the alternator coils). While reading through my FSM, I happen to notice the resistance value for the exciter coil, which I assumed was part of the yellow wire system, was far different than the values I was getting. Turns out the exciter coil is that black "odd man out coil" that is incorporated into the stator, and has its own set of leads that need to be checked. Sure enough, mine is bad (Ok, the SHOP guys were right:redface:). I've learned a lot about CDI sytems thru this process (Couple of great 5 minute videos on U-tube ;) ) and I'll now feel quite comfortable testing any future issues I have. Life is Good! :thumb:

·
Registered
431 Posts
That's awesome Dencor, glad you got it figured out. I had an internet based manual cyclepedia I think. I over torqued a bolt and snapped the head off, The torque specs were wrong. The honda manual is the only one I refer to now. Oh and this forum!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm just going to go ahead and say that Dencor buys a Rebel about as often as I buy lunch.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Glad you found it. Thanks for posting, I made sure to write it into my Honda manual.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm just going to go ahead and say that Dencor buys a Rebel about as often as I buy lunch.
Lighten up, I've only got 4 right now. :D Admittedly, I'll shag Rebels at $300 a pop day in/day out, running or not, if the opportunity arises. :thumb:

·
Registered
10 Posts
So replaced CDI box (was one bought from eBay said it was new) had stator rebuild , checked Coils on different bike (and they fired) still no spark replaced pulse generator (used one bought off of eBay) maybe rectifier ??help!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
29,308 Posts
Was the CDI made in China? Seems I recall someone saying their Chinese CDI was bad out of the box?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts