Honda Rebel Forum banner
61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
05 Honda CMX250C | 93 Kawi VN750
35 Posts
My wife is out with me when I am working on a car or a bike...
She just smiled and said, "I learn."
What a lady! My wife has learned car maintenance out of necessity, so she's my rock when I get frustrated troubleshooting stuff. Just explaining a problem with her is enough to keep a clear head.

So glad you got your Rebel sorted. Many happy rides to you!

·
Registered
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
302 Posts
My mom was like that. Always helping with engine overhauls. She'd help with taking carburetors apart and putting them back together. Whatever my dad needed help with.
My wife is good at many things but unfortunately not mechanics. She does enjoy riding on the back of the bikes. Quite often she requests to go for a long ride. The smooth quiet ride of the Rebel is enjoyable for both of us. Good to find a Prov. 31 wife.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
My mom was like that. Always helping with engine overhauls. She'd help with taking carburetors apart and putting them back together. Whatever my dad needed help with.
My wife is good at many things but unfortunately not mechanics. She does enjoy riding on the back of the bikes. Quite often she requests to go for a long ride. The smooth quiet ride of the Rebel is enjoyable for both of us. Good to find a Prov. 31 wife.
I have gained quite a bit of weight. I am afraid, the Rebel would not be able to carry both of us. My wife is very good at doing intricate and delicate work with her hands and a very good helper. Sometimes she has ideas that make a task simpler. For the life of me, I can't depend on her to turn a wrench the right way. She would often loosen a nut when she wants to tighten it. "Lefty Lossy righty tighty" is a very bad advice. My brain is wired to think clockwise for tightening aright handed screw and anticlockwise to tighten a left handed screw----reverse for losing.

·
Registered
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
302 Posts
That talks about a GOOD wife's skills & attitude.
Did you ever see the program called "Brain sex"? It explained why men generally think 1 way & women another about the same circumstances. Ex: most men use N. S. E. & W. when going somewhere. Most women use left & right. (Not all of either, but most), it's just how the brain works. Most men think problem solving (things), most women focus on people (feelings).
[I hope that I'm not offending any, just paraphrasing the program. ]
Funny! I grew up with my dad always saying "counter-clockwise". I rarely hear the use of the word "anti-clockwise".

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Ok. I took my bike for a test ride for the first time since I worked on the carburetor. Oh what a feeling! It's much much better. It's starts right up on the push of the button, idles nicely and It's far peppier than before. It almost wanted to leave me behind. I have to be gentle on the throttle when I start off in 1st gear. Had to be careful as there is lot of gravel on our street from concrete work on new side walks and kerb. Thanks for all the help here.

It was short ride since I have to get it inspected before I can get it the plates. When I returned, I felt it was idling much higher than when i started it cold. The old carb had #38 jet. Not sure what size the e-bay set had. I couldn't find any writing on it. I may have to adjust the idle speed lower but I can't adjust the air/fuel mixture since it's very close to the tab. I might be able to turn it out another 5 degrees or so.

I have an old 1970s or 80s Craftsmen tach dwell meter and a timing light that I used on my 4 cylinder cars to set points and timing. I am not sure how to hook that tach/dwell meter to a two cylinder engine. Does anyone have any idea how to hook it up or on buying a cheap tach (I don't want to mount it on the bike)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
That talks about a GOOD wife's skills & attitude.
Did you ever see the program called "Brain sex"? It explained why men generally think 1 way & women another about the same circumstances. Ex: most men use N. S. E. & W. when going somewhere. Most women use left & right. (Not all of either, but most), it's just how the brain works. Most men think problem solving (things), most women focus on people (feelings).
[I hope that I'm not offending any, just paraphrasing the program. ]
Funny! I grew up with my dad always saying "counter-clockwise". I rarely hear the use of the word "anti-clockwise".
I am used to anti-clockwise. My undergrad professors said anti-clockwise and I got brainwashed. Those in graduate school said counter-clockwise and were unable to brainwash me.

·
Super Moderator
30,544 Posts
Idle tends to increase as the engine goes from cold to warm. Adjust the idle with idle screw once engine is fully warmed.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Idle tends to increase as the engine goes from cold to warm. Adjust the idle with idle screw once engine is fully warmed.
Thanks. Yes, I can do that but if it needs adjusting the tabbed screw (air/fuel screw) I cant do that while the carb is on the engine. Doesn't the proper procedure involve adjusting both the idle speed screw and air/speed screw?
My ear can't tell the idle RPM yet. I do need to rig a tachometer at least to know what my idle rom is. Am I correct in thinking that the air/fuel screw is actually a fuel screw and if I turn inward, it would reduce the fuel supply?

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,084 Posts
once A/F screw is set you can vary the idle to suit your needs..
no need to re-adjust air fuel screw.
I find myself adjusting idle occasionally while sitting at stoplight..

Connect your Dwell/Tachometer tester as you would on an automobile..
Tester power leads to positive and neg battery connections and Tach lead to Negative coil terminal..

Yes the A/F screw when turned in reduces fuel supply

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 · (Edited)
once A/F screw is set you can vary the idle to suit your needs..
no need to re-adjust air fuel screw.
I set the A/F screw to the best of my ability, which is rather poor in carb matters.

Connect your Dwell/Tachometer tester as you would on an automobile..
Tester power leads to positive and neg battery connections and Tach lead to Negative coil terminal.
Mine is a two lead version. I used to connect the negative terminal to ground and the positive to the distributor side of the coil terminal. I can do that on the bike also.

Here is my confusion:
The meter has separate scales for for 6 and 8 cyl engines. Since all my cars had 4 cyl engine, I would double the reading on the cyl scale. With that logic, I would multiply the cyl scale reading by 4 to get the RPM but I I think the rebel has a wasted spark ignition system, meaning, we have twice as many sparks as needed .

Yes the A/F screw when turned in reduces fuel supply
Thank you. Until I opened the carb, I did not know what A/F screw looked like. My confusion prior to this was heightened by the fact that it's variously called air screw, fuel screw, mixture screw and I don't know why, even pilot screw. Then there is pilot jet, which cannot be adjusted at all. Once I looked at the shape of "notorious screw", it's quite clear that that turning it in reduces supply of whatever is in the path where it screws into-- air, fuel or mixture. That explains the three common terms and not longer confuse me. The term "pilot screw" completely screwed me over. It should be illegal to call it "pilot screw"

Note: I was absolutely terrified of touching a carburetor even though I have had carbureted bikes and cars, not to speak of lawn mowers, all because of the confusion mentioned above.

The help from you guys in dismantling and assembling this simple and single carbureting system made fundamentals quite clear.

·
Registered
05 Honda CMX250C | 93 Kawi VN750
35 Posts
The manual calls it the pilot screw, since it's for adjusting the fuel mixture at idle. Beyond idle, there's no adjusting the mixture. You can change jet sizes or increase compression with a bigger bored engine, but that's all beside the point.

The only other adjustment is the throttle stop screw (otherwise known as idle speed adjustor - the black plastic knob), which just adjusts how wide open the throttle plate rests.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts