Honda Rebel Forum banner
41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
My idle jet is still clogged. I cannot see through it at all. I have an idle jet that came with the cheap $8 kit I bought from e-bay. When I look through that idle jet, I can see a a fine mesh, as pointed pointed out by FC. That was great information FC. I have heard so many people suggesting that one use wire to clean the jets. The wire might work for other jets but not for this one. One of my friends who is a professor of mechanical and combustion processes, like you, also told me not to use a wire to clean jets especially on small displacement engines.

Getting back to my idle jet woes. I can always replace the idle jet but it bugs me to not be able to clean it. Of course, I have not used any solvents yet. Now I have decided to soak that jet in Gunk, carb cleaner, in a small jar, slightly taller but narrower than a baby food jar. I put it in the ultrasonic cleaner filled water for a couple of minutes at a time for two reasons. One is heating, as FC pointed out, and the other is that as bubbles explode in the jar, it will create "Gunk" vapours which will increase pressure inside the jar. While the vapour and liquid Gunk will reach equilibrium, I am not sure what the equilibrium pressure and temperature would be.
So out of abundance f caution I ensonify the jar for short durations.

Question: What;s the best way to cut the tab on the air/fuel mixture screw. I am thinking of cutting the tab with an angle grinder. Just have to find a good way to secure it while the angle grinder does it's work, without heating the screw.

·
Super Moderator
30,544 Posts
A file, bench grinder angle grinder, etc., will do the trick. A good set of side cutters out to be able to cut it off too, but may leave a sharp edge that needs smoothing. IMO, there's no good reason to remove the tab unless you assembled the carb, forgot to install it, and don't want to break the carb open again. Some have reported losing the screw after getting rid of the tab. If turned out to the correct initial setting, there's no need to adjust it beyond the limits allowed by the tab.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Thanks to all the help here from drakoala, FC, SK, Emil, maconman77 and others, I have made a dry run of assembling the carb.
  1. The idle jet size that came out of the card on this 2012 Rebel was 38. I was not able to unclog it. I have not Chemdipped yet. I did soak it in gunk after ultrasonic cleaning in distilled water did not do it. So used the one that came with the kit.
  2. Put petroleum jelly on the float bowl gasket to keep it in place.
  3. Did not test operation of the accelerator pump as it was too darned hot outside. The garage was very hot too. I was working inside the house.
  4. Polished the float valve seat a half a dozen times or more with brasso, rinsed, dried it and polished it again a few times followed by a rinsed with crab cleaner a few times.
  5. Blew carb cleaner through all the holes and then compressed air through all the holes.
  6. Checked operation of the slide by creating vacuum with compressed air.
  7. Did not put on grease on the slide. I wasn't sure if petroleum jelly would have been alright. Should some grease be applied to the slide?

·
Super Moderator
30,544 Posts
I've never lubed the slide, as I never thought about it. Don't recall anyone suggesting it be done, but maybe it should?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
A file, bench grinder angle grinder, etc., will do the trick. A good set of side cutters out to be able to cut it off too, but may leave a sharp edge that needs smoothing. IMO, there's no good reason to remove the tab unless you assembled the carb, forgot to install it, and don't want to break the carb open again. Some have reported losing the screw after getting rid of the tab. If turned out to the correct initial setting, there's no need to adjust it beyond the limits allowed by the tab.
The only reason for cutting the tab off was to not have to break open the carb if the setting was no right. I think I did it right. You raise very good point about the danger of sharp edges, not to mention the screw vibrating lose and fall off. Thank you again FC. Not what's your opinion on the medium grade locktite on float bowl screws and the diaphragm cover screws?
I was worried about the diaphragm crimping as it was difficult to keep in the place. With four hands, 4 thumbs and 16 fingers between my wife and I, we heled the diaphragm in place until it would stay in place even when we removed our fingers. The we kept in place again for a few minutes before putting the spring and the cover.

·
Registered
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
302 Posts
Congratulations! Gaskets look just like mother used to make.🙂
And she did too! She was always more artful than my most of us.
They do look good.

Reactions: Yaatri

·
Super Moderator
30,544 Posts
Honda doesn't use any thread locker at the factory, but I don't see any reason blue thread locker shouldn't be used. These bikes vibrate a lot, and things tend to work loose.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 · (Edited)
They do look good.
I think congratulations were a bit premature. I put the carb together and put in the bike, It was leaking from the overflow tube. I put the old float valve, in spite of FC's suggestion that I use a new valve. I did clean the seat very well. I am going to put the new valve now and hope it doesn't leak.

Checked the float for leaks. If the float had a leak, there would be some fuel in it. There wasn't any. I also submerged the float in warm water and look for bubbles, the way you look for leak in a tube. Either seat is bad or the float valve is bad. If the seat is bad, I am screwed. I will ad pictures of the seat before and after polishing.
IMG_20210709_213333.jpg
IMG_20210712_154021.jpg

·
Super Moderator
30,544 Posts
I'd bet it's the float valve. The rubber tip gets hard and won't seat properly when it does.

·
Registered
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
302 Posts
The best test I found to find a leak in a float is to chill it in the refrigerator and then hold it under water in a glass of hot water. The pressure inside will build enough to cause air bubbles if there is any leak.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I'd bet it's the float valve. The rubber tip gets hard and won't seat properly when it does.
I would not be surprised. I oplished the seat some more and it's shining now. It bugs me that with all the crud in there, the carb was not leaking before I took it off and cleaned it. Maybe the crud in the seat and on the valve was just in the right place for the vale to seat and stop flow of fuel.

I connected the fuel line to the carb, with the float bowl and valve in place but not the float bowl. fuel stop flowing into the bowl when I lifted the float up. Maybe the float valve is worn just enough that buoyance provided by the fuel does not life the valve enough to stop the flow. It's not a matter of saving a few cents but trying to find out what the heck is wrong. I will, put the new valve. I shall never know if the old valve would work with another round of seat polishing. It's fun but it also gets old. I understand how so many people sell a bike saying, "It needs carb cleaned. I haven't got the time to work on it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
The best test I found to find a leak in a float is to chill it in the refrigerator and then hold it under water in a glass of hot water. The pressure inside will build enough to cause air bubbles if there is any leak.
Not a bad idea but my concern is the thermal shock. Chill it for how long and how hot should the water be? Thermal shock might from freezing to hot won't crack it?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Lukewarm should be enough for this test. Chill the float in refrigerator, (not in freezer) for 5-10 min tops. It's should get cold enough very fast.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Well, I wasn't going to just install the new float valve. I after I had tested the float in water (not Emil's suggestion---that would have been the next step).
I reassembled the carb and connected it to the fuel line without installing it in the bike, turned the fuel on and waited for 15 minutes, no leak.

When I assembled the carb the first time, I must have some how knocked the valve from the float. I don't think the valve can come off when you tilt the carburetor upside down to attach the float bowl and the linkage for that connects the throttle link to the accelerator pump link. I think everything is good now, unless I am wrong.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
They do look good.
Why thank you Emil. Nothing like what mother used to make.

My wife is out with me when I am working on a car or a bike. She has with me since I was learning to drive with my first car in 1979. She is very meticulous. She was with me when my water (pump) broke so she knew what the sound of a bad water pump is.

One afternoon she was with her father, who was driving, and brothers when they stopped at a traffic light. The car in the lane beside their car was making that funny noise. My wife said, sounds like a bad water pump. Her brothers burst into laughter and said "Cars don't have water pump!" and her father looked at her as if she was from another planet and at her brothers as if they were the idiots. True that cars with air cooled engines, such as the old VW bug, don't have a water pump. Her father asked "How the heck you know about water pumps and cars!" She just smiled and said, "I learn."

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 · (Edited)
With lot of help from you guys, I have to report success. I put the carb back in the bike. it started right up with choke and idles fine without it. There is no hesitation when I twist the throttle. Now I can get the bike inspected and registered and get title and plates.

I could not have done it without you--FC, SK, drakoala, Emil and others. Thanks again. I spent almost $9 for the 12 piece carb kit and used only the idle jet and the float bowl rubber gasket with o ring. Plus a lot of help and elbow grease.

P.S. I meant to type started right up without choke.

·
Super Moderator
30,544 Posts
Glad you fixed everything.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Let us know when know when you have your next problem. :) :) Hopefully not for a long time!

41 - 60 of 71 Posts