Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of November's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
86 Rebel 450 (blue w/title and Black no title yet)
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to go get this. I probably would have walked away if I hadn’t driven 4.5 hours to see it. I did talk it down to $500. The gas tank is pretty rusty inside and all 3 seat pads are shot. I’ll pull the carbs and clean out the tank and see what happens. At 30,000 miles if it starts it’ll get wheel bearing, brakes, tires, all that good stuff. My daughter said she wanted an older Rebel. I decided she needed a 450! I have all winter to work on it.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Plant Vehicle
Fuel tank Automotive lighting Automotive fuel system Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1986 Honda CMX 450 Rebel
84 Posts
Have fun & patience. Good to see someone cares about poor, neglected 450´s (y)

Reactions: redeemer1972

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
3,090 Posts
1 cup of salt mixed well with 1 gallon of white vinegar makes a good rust remover.. you will have to rotate tank to get full coverage.. several layers of plastic wrap held in place with rubber band will seal tank petcock nipple..
don't expose tank cap to acid mixture..
may take several days to clean properly
after emptying vinegar, mix 1 cup of baking soda with 1 gallon of warm water.. add to tank, swirl around for 10-15 minutes neutralizing the acid.. Rinse well with clear water.. Dry using hair dryer to heat exterior of tank..

I recommend using Caswell 2 part epoxy gas tank sealant no matter how you clean the tank.. should you find tank has pin holes, use masking tape to cover the outside of hole and Caswell to coat inside..
Caswell isn't cheap but you will find it preforms better than any other tank sealer.
Bottle Gas Drink Liquid Wood stain

·
Premium Member
85,86,87 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
2,721 Posts
Nice project bike! Good price too! RESPECT!
AND...Welcome to the forum!
You wouldn't happen to be my brother, would you? 😉 Same name, same ability to haggle the price down to a low amount!

Reactions: DanR

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1 cup of salt mixed well with 1 gallon of white vinegar makes a good rust remover.. you will have to rotate tank to get full coverage.. several layers of plastic wrap held in place with rubber band will seal tank petcock nipple..
don't expose tank cap to acid mixture..
may take several days to clean properly
after emptying vinegar, mix 1 cup of baking soda with 1 gallon of warm water.. add to tank, swirl around for 10-15 minutes neutralizing the acid.. Rinse well with clear water.. Dry using hair dryer to heat exterior of tank..

I recommend using Caswell 2 part epoxy gas tank sealant no matter how you clean the tank.. should you find tank has pin holes, use masking tape to cover the outside of hole and Caswell to coat inside..
Caswell isn't cheap but you will find it preforms better than any other tank sealer.
View attachment 112376
Thanks for the heads up. I’ve been doing a lot of searching last night about this. Didn’t sleep much!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I picked up a “parts bike” today. If I can hunt down the owner of the title it won’t be for parts. At 10,000 miles, it all looks great other than the turn signals and it’s missing the front brakes. The carbs are already soaking. It also looks like the gas tanks are twins in the inside.
Vehicle Automotive tire Light Motor vehicle Bumper

Brown Wood Tints and shades Ball Circle

Automotive tire Helmet Sports gear Automotive design Motorcycle helmet

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Font Tints and shades Art

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i almost bought this first but he couldn’t get the title. When I went to get it I saw why. It was a in a high end gated condo complex. Someone moved and told the neighbor kid he could have it and he would send the title when he came across it while unpacking. Seeing the place, totally believable situation. I don’t think there was a vehicle in the lot older than 3 years old. I don’t think I will have a problem getting the title for it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just ordered a caliper and master cylinder off eBay. I also have oil and air filters and shoes and pads for both bikes on the way. Wheel bearings for the one with 30,000 miles will be here soon. I have to wait til Monday to talk to the DMV about tracking down the title holder. The plate that was left on the bike was in the name of the guy I bought it from. They will be ready by spring and no part out or chop up.

·
Premium Member
85,86,87 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
2,721 Posts
Sounds like you're moving forward very nicely!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sounds like you're moving forward very nicely!
Hmm, I might have acted a little early on ordering the caliper and master cylinder. I just found a real parts bike that I’m sure I could get for not much more. Too late to cancel that order though.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I hate this cold weather! I have my muriatic acid and baking soda ready to clean the rust out of the tanks. It’s too cold for flushing them out with the hose, all the outside water is turned off. I sure don’t want to do it in the tub! Looks like I might need to take the tank off my XL250 so I can hear them run finally.
Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Plant Plant community Vehicle

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I heard the parts bike run today! I’m just now replacing the sight glass in the master cylinder. Now all I need is nice weather. The parts for the other bike should be here March 11. Just giving it some throttle, these things sound pretty nice!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
The 3 ruptured discs in the neck makes for slow going working on these things. The bike is ready now though. Time to start to work on the one I actually bought to ride now. I hope it turns out like this one. For a parts bike it sure was nice to do.
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Fuel tank Plant

1 - 20 of 26 Posts