Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi their,
It has been awhile sense I have posted anything. My balance has gone to hell, so to ride I had to make training wheels for my 450. Could not find a set that would work on my bike so I built a set for myself.
I first checked out all the trike sights on utube I could find. I found "Bic trikes". The way they attach their trikes to any bike
looked like the the simplest way for me to make my trike frame.
The frame is at the powder coaters and should be ready to pick next week.
Here are some pictures I took after I got it mounted to the bike so I could try it out.
I tracked true and was very stable. No problem at all.
Will get it mounted after powder coating with new pictures. >:)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
from the angle I can't see how it's mounted.. interesting setup

·
Registered
115 Posts
I ask out of curiosity and not to be insulting.
I enjoy engineering and building stuff myself also.
You did a great job fabricating.

Why a build a trike and not just get a sidecar?
Advantages? disadvantages?
Would a sidecar solve the balance issue?
Is one harder to ride/drive than the other?

·
Super Moderator
29,465 Posts
Looking forward to more pics!

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Flite,
I had a sidecar on one of my 450's. They are quite different to ride with only one wheel on one side. OK turning left slowly, but on the road either way is a scary thing. I have had a couple of Harley trikes, easy to ride. With 2 wheels in the back no problem.
Could not find one to fit the 450 so I built my own.
The picture is one I took before I got the brackets mounted.
When I get the frame back from the powder coaters I will mount it up and take more pictures.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I understand the balance problem as getting older I have had problems walking and shifting my bike because my left leg was part of my back problem and now it is weaker than the right. It's hell getting old. I have to turn my foot to shift but I can't stop riding. Shoot, I may end up tying a string to the shiftier. As my legs are weaker than they were a few years ago, I have to get rid if my Kawasaki Vulcan 900. I don't want to fall on it and mess up a cream puff of a bike. Maybe I should get training wheels for it as well.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I really admire your skill in designing and building the very nice looking frame....
I have gotten to the point that I would likely profit from triking my Rebel (age 83). I will first check on ready-made ones such as Voyager to see if one is available for my 07 Rebel 250.

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
training wheels done

I got the training wheel frame back from the powder coating guy. Did a good job.
If all goes well I will download some pictures of the training wheels mounted to my 450.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks for the pictures! Looks very interesting. Two questions... Why is the frame mounted apparently so close to the wheel at the rear? It looks like the frame is suspended from two brackets, the rear one being attached to the rear of the fender... does the fender have enough strength to handle that?

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The rear mounting bracket is mounted to the chrome bar that holds the rear fender in place. It's very sturdy and has no give just like the front mount is bolted to the top main bolt that holds the rear fender in place and the top of the shock. I used the metric bolts that are like
USA grade 8 hardened bolts. All the bolts are grade 8.
All the nuts have blue locktite and a lock washer so they will only come loose if I want them to.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts