Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to track down a set of mufflers for a 1982 cm 250 to replace the rusted out set I have on there now but I'm having a hard time finding them. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to locate some or what other might be a suitable replacement for them?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Id like to get something a little cleaner, those look a little rusted to me. Is the muffler all one peice from the back to the engine? It looks like you can buy aftermarket mufflers that will fit but it's just the muffler part and wouldn't include the pipes from the engine. (I'm a newb trying to fix up an old bike)

·
Super Moderator
32,362 Posts
Rust on the inside of the exhaust and around brackets is pretty common. Not sure if it is a result of less chrome where it can't be easily seen, poor chrome coverage there, or just hard to get to and clean. If the pipes haven't been cleaned, and it doesn't appear they have, it will look a lot worse than after it is polished up. Most of that light rust will disappear with cleaning. Tip: use wadded up aluminum foil dipped in water to remove rust. That large dark spot on the left exhaust appears to be something melted on the metal, such as a plastic bag. These can get stuck to the hot exhaust when riding. If it is a bag, it can be removed fairly easily. You could ask the seller to carefully try scraping a small spot on the edge of it with a razor blade. If it comes off, it can be removed. Oven cleaner applied to hot metal will easily remove such stuff. Just don't get it on the paint as it will be damaged. You can mask any paint that the oven cleaner might drip onto with plastic such as Vis-Queen.

The large rust spot on the (bottom right?) muffler may not be visible when mounted. It's near the bottom center as a weep hole is visible in the pic. It may be the bike was ridden off road and scraped against a rock, or the bike was dropped. Really hard for me to tell whether it would be visible when mounted from the picture. It's unlikely you will find a pristine exhaust any time soon given that all these bikes are over 30 years old.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd like to get something new if I can. Do you think there would be an exhaust system from another 250 model/year that would fit the cm 250? I'm not sure where to find out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts