Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2009 Rebel 250.

I rebuilt my carb, changed plugs, changed oil, and changed air filter a couple months ago (also added in-line fuel filter). This fixed my issue with not being able to turn the choke off (carb cleaning and rebuild) and I can ride it for just a couple min w/choke on to warm it up then turn it off...

I have consistently gotten about 45-50 mpg and see most others get at least 65-80 mpg. I ride in town mostly in the 35-55 mph range. Shifting where the speedo says to shift.

Not sure why my mpg would be so low.

Any pointers to troubleshoot?

Thanks,
jonny

·
Super Moderator
29,176 Posts
Those aren't recommended shift points on the speedo, they are maximum shift points. If you are revving the engine to these points before shifting, you'll never get great mileage or reach the top gears. Mileage will go down as engine revs increase beyond an optimum point. At WOT on the interstate, my Rebel gets around 55 mpg. Cruising back roads in fifth gear at 35-40 mph, it gets much better mileage.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Flitecontrol, It does feel a bit high RPM to regularly shift at those speeds so if I'm cruising I normally run it a bit lower - So I've got good headroom to gun it if needed in that particular gear (if that makes any sense). I'll certainly focus on dialing it back a bit but don't feel like that would make my MPG almost half of normal?

Thanks,
jonny

·
Super Moderator
29,176 Posts
The best mileage I got on a previous Rebel was 85 mpg when cruising back roads in fifth gear around 35-40 mpg, and virtually no stopping. On the Interstate, that bike would get about 62 mpg. The current Rebel doesn't do nearly as well. Not sure why.

Try taking it easy on the throttle and upshifting as soon as possible without lugging the engine. You should see your mileage improve. I don't think you'll ever see 70 mpg at sustained WOT, but no one else does either.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the recommendations Filecontrol! I'll try that over the next couple fill ups and report back - I'd say that I'm mostly in 35-45mph in 2nd and 3rd gear in the city. Rarely in 5th lol.

Cheers,
jonny

·
Registered
341 Posts
jonny-rotten - Interesting thread. All info from flitecontrol is right on the money. I was thinking in your original post that you meant you shift it when the "engine" says to. Not the speed marks. I first read flitecontrol's reply and was like, "what?" Then I looked back at your post. If we have an all Rebel drag race (I guess that's not going to happen due to the virus, and the lack of participation), then using those lines on the speedo would be beneficial.

When I'm just cruising around, I shift when it feels / sounds right. There's some sort of engine speed that I just sort of feel a bit of buzziness. Very subtle. I shift there and the engine picks right up at the lower rpm with good torque. Not racing torque, but just comfortable acceleration torque.

I'm about to do the Zombie Apocalypse Challenge. And when I do, I'm going to have to achieve 102+mpg, or I get eaten by zombies. I got a feeling there's a horde of zombies out there that's gonna turn me into a buffet.

7milesout

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all - I'll need to top up my tank soon so I'm starting to modify my riding style to feel the engine more for cruising. Shifting lower gives much less response out of the throttle and it's certainly doesn't hammer it as hard so that should help with MPG.

I'll burn a couple tanks of gas and report back.

Cheers!
-jonny

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Went through two tanks this weekend and consistently got just under 70 mpg where I was getting in the range of 45 mpg before. The only change being riding style and keeping the engine consistently in the lower RPM's (with me and my lady riding too). We did a 65 mile ride out HWY 100 to Hohenwald from Nashville proper and was mostly cruising 35-60 mph and still a very marked improvement by pretty much keeping it in 4th/5th for that speed range.

Thanks all!

Cheers,
jonny

1 - 8 of 8 Posts