Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of November's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1985, 86 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
2,875 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had my 1985 Honda Rebel 250 for two months, as a starter bike.

Because of it's size, it is a perfect fit for me. However, as I was frequently told before I bought this bike, I have gotten to the point where I want something with more power.

I am also in the throes of planning a trip to Utah (aprx 1,200 miles from where I live), and this little bike would not be a great one to try riding that far.

I have toyed with the idea of trading up, but since this is my first bike...and I have grown QUITE fond of it...I was hoping to get some info on possibly taking the 250 motor out and replacing it with a motor that is twice to 3x bigger.

Has this been done before? Is it possible to accomplish? What are the pro's and con's if it IS possible, and how simple/difficult would the swap be?
lemme give ya a real anwser as i swapped a 80s 750 into my nighthawk 250 if you can cut weld and fabricate you can put whatever you want in it

·
Super Moderator
31,959 Posts
I won't say its impossible because with enough money, time, equipment and fabricating skills, anything is possible.
lemme give ya a real anwser as i swapped a 80s 750 into my nighthawk 250 if you can cut weld and fabricate you can put whatever you want in it
Looks like someone else made the same point 10 years ago..

·
Registered
37 Posts
Not that I am saying I am any kind of expert rider here (I DO only have 2 months/2,200 miles under my belt), but I have been doing more than straight line riding. Where I live, there aren't many straight lines to ride on, and those are mostly in town and only last a mile at most. In fact, Push Mountain Road is 20 minutes from where I live. I have handled curves, braking and accelerating out of them pretty well. My experience driving stick-shifts has given me a tiny advantage on that. But again, I am not an expert. Bikes are far different. However, with having no personal handling of a two-wheeled machine whatsoever...I picked it up fairly easily and quickly.

The only reason I want something bigger is to ride to Utah. If general consensus is that my Rebel will make it that far, and I haven't found something larger and more comfortable by next May - then the Rebel it is. I will be going on this trip no matter what I have to ride. :p But my bottom (and whichever fellow riders can join me - I'm sure) would appreciate it more.
Im in St George stop by and say HI!

21 - 25 of 25 Posts