Honda Rebel Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,771 Posts
Those look to be OE mirrors.
A lot of auto glass places will cut a mirror to fit. I did up several used OE Buick mirrors that way to have the spares. . (You'd have to understand the correct mirror style for my car was only made in late 61 and the 62 model year. In 63 they changed the stem angle)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
LOL! I have a mirror for my purse...I now have two left mirrors. (The ones I purchased on ebay were a set).

Now if I could just find the right shade of lipstick, my world would be complete.

Actually, flite said he may have the glass for the right side mirror but my gasket is all flea bitten from the failed extraction. :whistling:

·
Premium Member
17,771 Posts
Really, the left and right are the same. Just turn the head all the way around. Think Exorcist :lol2: .

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
This thread has been a hoot, Good job taking care of the problem and great entertaining suggestions for the solutions to the problem love this place.

·
Premium Member
17,771 Posts
I was making a joke, just in case anyone isn't sure.
Some mirrors will reverse but the OE ones don't.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
I was making a joke, just in case anyone isn't sure.
Some mirrors will reverse but the OE ones don't.
I just swapped both of my mirrors and you were right, they do work both left and right. Sadly, I had to mount them upside down. Looks funny, but they are mirror images of what they were before the swap. The only really difficult thing about it, now the brake and clutch are much more difficult to apply.

I like the stealth look, but it takes some getting used to riding in traffic.

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
I'd like to see a pic of that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
loose mirror head fix

I just purchased a 2007 Rebel with a floppy loose mirror head. The glass is enclosed in a flexible rubber like plastic envelope that snaps into the chrome housing. Using a little common sense (it's glass), the envelope with the glass in it can be pried out. Inside you will find a self locking 10mm nut compressing a coil spring. No tools required to snap the class back in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Tips on Fixing Loose Mirror

Managed to successfully tighten a wobbly mirror.
Nice to still have the stock mirror, and saved a few $.

Think these steps helped:

-put duct tape over glass (makes it less likely to crack)
-heat gasket w hair dryer (makes it more pliable)
-gentle pressure pulling/pushing gasket
-started on the inside edge, thinking that was least stressful place on the glass

-thinnest putty knife or other lever device you have.
figured wider was less likely to break glass than screwdriver, as it spread the pressure out

-patience, plan on 10-15 minutes or more

-lube gasket for easier re-install (sewing machine oil, veg oil, etc). you can lube it for removal, but makes it harder to grab

Don't know how long the repair will last, but mirror feels secure and still has room for small adjustments. It's worth a try, just beware it is rough on your fingernails prying out that gasket.

Reactions: 01-7700

·
Registered
1 Posts
The ball swivel joint was loose on my SH125's left mirror. Unfortunately the mirror is sealed and cannot be opened but there are 2 small drain holes on the underside so I decided to drill a larger one, 12mm, through the plastic housing near to the swivel joint. Shining a torch inside I could see a nut that applied pressure to the joint. It was then easy to slip an 8mm ring spanner through the new hole and tighten the nut until the swivel had the required degree of stiffness.

·
Registered
232 Posts
As I had to tighten up my mirror today, I thought it may help others to see the inside of the mirror assembly.
Tighten that nut.

Reactions: MaconMan77
21 - 36 of 36 Posts