Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My right side mirror is loose and moves out of place all the time. It's not loose where it threads onto the bars but in the ball joint between the back of the mirror at the top of the stem.

I was thinking of using Locktite but when I went shopping for it, there were several different products for a lot of applications. None seemed appropriate for what I want to do.

I've never used Locktite before but have seen it mentioned here. Anyone know if it will work for my purpose?

·
Premium Member
17,771 Posts
Loctite won't work for that application. Loctite is an anaerobic compound drying only when there is no air present. It works very well for threaded fasteners because of that.
You would want an epoxy, preferably a two part. The chemical reaction is what sets the epoxy

·
Registered
127 Posts
But once set the mirror won't be adjustable anymore... right? Seems to me it needs something that won't set tight.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
I have not been confronted with that problem, but I would believe you might be able to spin the mirror and it will tighten to the threaded nut and bolt system that is probably hidden inside. Another thing you might try is to remove the Mirror, stem and all, from the bike and use a silicone adhesive to fill the gap and stiffen the adjustment.

Another possibility is to bend, dent or distort the ball and joint connection without breaking the mirror, Finally, for 10 to 20 dollars you can buy replacement mirrors that will bolt right up.. and New is always newer..

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
is there a nut just below the joint? I know I was able to adjust and tighten mine down by tightening that.

·
Super Moderator
30,194 Posts
Yup, try what Ferrari suggested: spin the mirror and it will tighten to the threaded nut and bolt system that is probably hidden inside

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I took the mirror off and twisted it as suggested. It turned....and turned....and turned. About 30 times. LOL! If there's a hidden thread in there, it may be broken.

I may have landed on the mirror and broke it when I laid the bike down on my maiden voyage. :whistling:

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Looks like your two best options are: Epoxy two part and adjusting it for a one time permanent fix, or purchase a new one. You need your mirrors, unless you are an Italian, driving a Ferrari.. "Whatsa Behind me isa not important" . In that case, you just have to be faster than everything else on the road. In hind sight, it tends to keep you outta trouble. Don't be overtaken by fear, know what is coming in advance.

If your mirror broke your fall, then it went over and above the call of duty. You should retire it, or at least remove the stem and keep mirror in your purse.
This will not only be a reminder of your near fatal event, but will also allow it to stay in service. Pull it out on a date and it will start a whole new line of conversation.

"A little too much drama on the near fatal part, but it has a nice effect on the conversation"

·
Registered
5,770 Posts
If the mirror is fubar anyway you could try to remove the glass by carefully prying at the gasket until it pops out, tighten the ball joint in side than reinsert the glass. If that doesn't work then you will be replacing anyway...just a thought.

·
Registered
454 Posts
put some crazy glue on the ball move it around and set it where you want it. Its not going to be permanent but will work for quite awhile.

·
Premium Member
17,771 Posts
Right! That's what I did with epoxy on an old CB360T. It held for a good while.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had the same thing happen to my left mirror. You can get behind the mirror and tighten the nut it’s a 10mm. With your fingers pull on the gasket between the (mirrors frame) and the gasket. Then slip in a small screw driver under mirror and gasket. Do not put the screw driver between glass and gasket. Very lightly prize up. Then use your hand and fingers to work it out little by little. With gasket on the glass. I did it and it worked out great. I tighten the nut and have not had any more problems. For the right mirror start at the left side of mirror. For the left mirror start at the right side of mirror. I hope this may help.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You can also read more about tightening the mirror on wrenching section. I do not know how to do a link to it. Jerry D started it on 3/06/11 titled Mirrors. Andre’ Blaze’ and Oneway explained how to do it.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Found that thread, thanks, Spiff!

I did try taking off the gasket and removing the mirror...and CRACK!! :eek2::eek2:

Not only did I lose the mirror, I'm doomed for the next 7 years!! :nonono:

Good think I went to the bay yesterday and bought a new set (OE). I might just finish this one off to see the guts.

·
Super Moderator
30,194 Posts
I've got a mirror that the metal is damaged on but the glass is good. Yours for the shipping if you want it. Oops, just saw your mirrors and don't believe they are stock like mine. Will have to double check.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think they are stock. If you want to get rid of the glass, I'll take it. Wouldn't hurt to have a spare. NOT that I plan on laying it down again.

I did buy replacement mirrors yesterday on the bay but if you have the glass and I have the metal, why....it's a match!! Let's put 'em together!!

·
Registered
454 Posts
looking at the guts of your mirrors. I think if one were to put pressure by pulling and turning it may tighten. Im thinking by looking at the picture thats like a rubber piece between the nut and stem????

1 - 20 of 36 Posts