Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so the po of my 450 chopped and removed the baffles from the exhaust. due to the legality of this i do want to make changes, the only aftermarket complete exhaust i could find is the mac exhaust https://www.ebay.com/itm/MAC-Staggered-Tapered-Dual-Exhaust-System-fits-Honda-CMX450C-Rebel-1986-1987/312617434209?fits=Model:Rebel+450&epid=171188895&hash=item48c9737c61:g:Tt8AAOSwhXdc34vK#rwid
about $300 shipped. seems reasonable... anyone have this specific one on their bike? open to other suggestions if anyones got. not looking to go back to stock, i like the opened up sound.

·
Super Moderator
29,136 Posts
I rode a 450 with those. Definitely louder than stock. Be careful if you get them, it's very easy to get burned on those pipes!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I chopped off my mufflers and replaced them with slip on mufflers. I have a 450. They have baffles of some kind, sound louder than stock, but not raspy or annoyingly loud, just a deep bob bob bob bob type of sound. Bikes drives well, didn't need to rejet or anything so far. Cost me about 100 euros for the pair.

Because they were cut where the mufflers weld to the head pipes, didn''t have to worry about any studs breaking in the head, or pipes re-routing and burning legs!

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I had a slash cut, non-staggered set and liked them, good quality. Can't find an old pic of them, sorry. They are louder, but do sound nice, not chopped and raspy. The 450 sounds ok when you go with straight/open exhausts. I was informed that there is no need to change needles when modifying exhaust only when you modify the intake, so have not done.
I did not like the single sided look for the bike when I had them on, so went back to OEM. Also, they are single sided, so will change color slightly immediately upon use, but if you are not running lean, it won't be too bad.

Working on fishtails now

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a slash cut, non-staggered set and liked them, good quality. Can't find an old pic of them, sorry. They are louder, but do sound nice, not chopped and raspy. The 450 sounds ok when you go with straight/open exhausts. I was informed that there is no need to change needles when modifying exhaust only when you modify the intake, so have not done.
I did not like the single sided look for the bike when I had them on, so went back to OEM. Also, they are single sided, so will change color slightly immediately upon use, but if you are not running lean, it won't be too bad.

Working on fishtails now
I think im going to scoop them... the only concern i have is will it affect my ability to jack the bike? i have one of those harbor freight motorcycle/atv jacks and right now it sits flat on the exhaust because its level both sides, will this make the bike unstable if i jack it?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,999 Posts
I think im going to scoop them... the only concern i have is will it affect my ability to jack the bike? i have one of those harbor freight motorcycle/atv jacks and right now it sits flat on the exhaust because its level both sides, will this make the bike unstable if i jack it?
I bought that very jack and got rid of it. Don't waste your money. Jacking on the exhaust will ruin the exhaust!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I bought that very jack and got rid of it. Don't waste your money. Jacking on the exhaust will ruin the exhaust!
Works pretty good for me so long as the exhaust isn't hot... then it'd melt the rubber pads and ruin the exhaust. what do you use to jack your bike? I haven't really seen other solutions, nor do I know where one would jack the rebel other than the exhaust.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also, this is basically the only pic i could find of a 450 with a mac exhaust. it looks to me like if i jacked the left side id be on the frame as opposed to the exhaust as it raises the lowest point. figured id post so that someone will tell me if Im wrong

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,738 Posts
I have cut pieces of wood so I lift on the frame with the jack like you have.
This works for me.
Good luck

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Do not jack your bike up by the exhaust.

I have used wood and it works, but if not secured, can move when you mess with the bike. Careful.

I also modified a floor jack by bolting on right angle pieces (OTC, 1/4" thick with holes) to the holes on the side to create little 'stilts" that lift each side differently resulting a true perpendicular lift. Hard to use w/exhaust on though, but it works. I'll take a pic.

The frame clearance is a little different from one side to the other.

I have a table so can strap the bike in and I use a small scissors jack with 'uprights' (don't know what they are called) than then cross lower frame crossbar sits in and I can adjust the height via threads and they slide across the platform, so can width can be adjusted also.

https://www.amazon.com/LiftMaster-Motorcycle-Center-Scissor-Safety/dp/B01MZ7U4X5/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_263_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=GR5XHKTNPNK21WN5SY8Y

I have also used a car floor type jack, like at the tore repair shop, but the 'cup' is not stable, so can get tricky,

You want to always lift it by the frame, not the exhaust and not the engine. The oil 'pan' and the drain plug (guard) hang the lowest (next to the exhaust).

Always stabilize the bike as best you can. I have C-clamped it to the lift. ALways a good idea to invite a friend, wifey, the kid, etc. to help.

I did like my MAC, but it made the other side of the bike look/feel 'empty. I realized prefer having them on either side. If you like the look, you'll love the sound!;)

Just put my fishtails on for Lake Hope!

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts

Working on fishtails now
Do you have any info on those saddle bags? i like how they look, interested in getting them for my rebel

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Milwaukee Leather brand 'hard' mounted (with big fender washers!) to some old Mutazu mounts I had for those plastic bags they have that open on side. Bags are crappy plastic and got destroyed, but those mounts are nice. Found an old pic of the bike with the bags that were originally on these mounts.
Gin Ba 5.2020.jpg
Bike 1.jpg
Smashed the fork bag tasting pavement in Cave City :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts