Honda Rebel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of November's Ride of the Month Challenge!
81 - 82 of 82 Posts

·
Super Moderator
31,103 Posts
It seems like the #1 thing I want to avoid is friction modifiers. As far as I understand, oils 10w-30 and below must state if they contain them with the "energy conserving" stamped on it. However that isn't the case with 10w-40. It seems like you really have to do your research and delve i to the product sheets. That's why I ask if you guys have any go-to brands that you know don't contain them. I'm not trying to dump money on motorcycle oil when it seems like there's no appreciable effect, but I don't want to risk using an oil that could or could not contain clutch destroying components. What recommendations have ye?
Castrol GTX 10W-40 and Shell Rotella 15W-40 are both fine oils. There is no longer a requirement to display "oil conserving" or "energy conserving" labels on oil containers.

I like to get the oil with the little picture of the cycle on it- Castrol’s 10-40 or 20-50 😀
In a test, motorcycle specific oils did not perform as well as conventional oils, and they tend to cost 2-3 times as much.

Look for oil with Jaso MA 1/ MA 2 Specification. (Oil for use with wet-clutches.)
Oil with milky caramel colour means you got water in it. Water & oil form an emulsion . It should be changed ASAP.
Shell Rotella meets JASO specs.

The oil level is checked with the bike level and the dipstick unscrewed and resting on the threads.

·
Premium Member
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
1,469 Posts
I'm planning on getting the Castrol Power1 4T 15W-50 4L
next. It fits ALL the weather that in which I'd ride, & is motorcycle specific, which means it meets all of the above requirements.

81 - 82 of 82 Posts