Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Rebel Forum Members

I have a 2007 Rebel had it for 2 years mileage was 1K when I bought it mostly ran good, when I put the Rebel up last winter I did normal maintenance oil.... and run the gas out of the carburetor. This past spring the battery was dead so jump started and all was good went for a 10 mile ride and put in some fresh gas, a couple of weeks later with a new battery I took the Rebel out again and it was sputtering at idle and inconsistent idle speeds goes up and down sounds more like a Harley idling. I cleaned the carburetor with Gunk brand submerged cleaner blew everything out no better also the carburetor low speed adjustment screw can be turned all the way in and the engine doesn't change much. Not wanting to spend $260 for a carburetor only available from Honda I changed over to dual carburetors from ebay got it all fitted good yesterday it starts good but same idle except with these carburetors the low speed screws adjust somewhat still sputters and idle, I did check for air leaks with Ether none found, I have adjusted the valves everything is good there, driving runs fine hot starts not so good after sitting doesn't start right has to spin for a few seconds with throttle open some, any ideas?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I changed back to the original single carburetor, soaked it again and dialed it in does run better than the dual setup.

·
Super Moderator
29,293 Posts
What is your top speed now?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I only drove with the dual carburetors a few miles there was a problem it didn't want to rev every time felt like a fuel flow issue and idle was very unstable. The single carburetor works good mostly just not smooth at lower RPM's top speed I don't know 75+ has good power only 4K on the bike.

·
Super Moderator
29,293 Posts
Sounds like the bike is doing what it should at top end. Have you set the idle to approximately 1,400 rpm with the engine warm, and are you using choke until it warms? My current Rebel needs choke on every start up, whereas its predecessor only needed it during cold weather. Did you turn the pilot/air-fuel screw out 2 3/4 turns initially from lightly seated, and adjust as needed?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
My bike doesn't need any choke during the summer I can start and drive off, the carburetor low speed setting is set around 3 turns where it was when I bought it. I went out for a 30 mile ride last night with the original carburetor it's driving better idle is stable engine still sounds a little choppy at lower speeds when not under a load, this fall when the driving season is over I will buy a new carburetor from Honda I have no plans to sell the Rebel it's perfect for the around town driving I do.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone know of an affordable source for a direct replacement carburetor that fits a 2007 Rebel?

·
Super Moderator
29,293 Posts
You can buy a new one from https://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemparts/l/hon or other online stores such as bikebandit.com. Both will be cheaper than a dealer. Or you might find a used, rebuildable one on ebay. Any carb from 1996-2016 will work on a 2007 Rebel. If you buy one online, look at all the second generation model years because one year will be significantly cheaper than another for some unknown reason.

·
Registered
358 Posts
1rebel - By the sound of your explanation, if I were to take a SWAG at it, I would have to say your original carb has something going on with the choke plunger. My guess is that it could be slightly, "choked" even with your choke lever set full OFF. The stock carburetor, when operating correctly idles very very rich. But that's the way Honda set it up. And it idles smooth at that very rich setting.

I could only guess as to why it is set up that way. 1) Idling so rich, perhaps it helps reduce the ignition temps at idle. Assuming it idles mostly when the bike is not moving, being an air cooled bike, it's going to get hot while idling. Maybe being very rich at idle helps to keep it from getting too hot too quickly. 2) Perhaps it's a 2 valve thing. Idle (while fully warmed) AFR: 11.2 to 11.6. I've tuned my LA 360 (2 valve V8 engine) to about 13.0:1 when idling. And it idles poorly (sounds badass, like some big cam), so I have left it alone. If I richen it up from there it idles better. So maybe it is a 2 valve thing that I don't fully understand. When cold and choked, our Rebels idle at 8.0:1 or less. But idles well like that when cold. That is stankin' rich! All these numbers are based on original jetting.

If one tries to idle a warm Rebel engine at 8.0:1, it's not going to like it. My SWAG is that maybe your "choke" circuit is somewhat activated, inadvertently, and causing your idle issue. I've been wrong before, i.e. I'm married.

7milesout

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The engine does sound like it has too much enrichment no black smoke visible, I checked the choke it's working properly also tried backing the cable out a few turns where it screws into the carburetor made no difference. I ordered a new carburetor from bikebandit.com it's on back order I should have it in about three weeks. I will look into having the factory carburetor ultrasonic cleaned maybe that will help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts